Pat (“Athletic Pat”) O’Donnell ‘14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Before the interview, Pat and a friend were passing my house and saw broken beer bottles in our garage, so they cleaned them out. Can I get a round of applause for these fine young gentlemen? Even better, after our interview was finished, Pat proved his excellent cooking skills by making my roommates and I breakfast – eggs and pancakes – by candlelight. It was a great Saturday morning. You fine young women better grab this guy while he’s available!

Major: Industrial Engineering

Relationship Status: Single (and ready to mingle)

Hometown: Dublin, Ohio

HC: How did you end up coming to Pitt?

PO: I was driving home from track practice in Dublin when I found a kitten in a tree with a tag that said “Nordy – Pittsburgh, PA,” so I walked it all the way to the chancellor’s front door. The chancellor said, “Son, thank you for your dedication; here’s a scholarship to the University of Pittsburgh.” Just kidding. My family has always had tickets to the Steelers’ games and after one of the games, we took a tour of Pitt; I immediately knew I wanted to go here.

HC: What do you want to do after you graduate?

PO: Go to business school then hopefully start my own consulting firm. I would love to be able to travel as a part of my business. I want to do something that makes a difference in people’s lives.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

PO: Anything sports related – golf, watching the Steelers, woefully supporting my beloved Pirates, going for a run, any sport whatsoever.

HC: Favorite ice cream flavor?

PO: Chocolate chip cookie dough from Graeter’s in Columbus, Ohio.

HC: What main qualities do you seek in a girlfriend?

PO: Catholic, athletic, conservative, and cute doesn’t hurt.

HC: And some qualities that turn you off?

PO: Someone who is uninspired or has a negative disposition.

HC: What is your ideal first date?

PO: I would make her dinner – I’m a good cook – then I would like to share something I enjoy with her, like go to a Pirates game or watch a good movie.

HC: Who has been your biggest inspiration and why?

PO: My dad. He works incredibly hard, but he’s so levelheaded and he’s always there when you need something, no matter what. He has a positive perspective on life. We like to talk about the Steelers and Pirates when we’re stressed.

HC: If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? Why?

PO: Africa (specifically the orphanage my Delta Chi brother Robby Snyder founded in Tanzania) or New Zealand – my goal is to visit every continent before I graduate. I’ve already been to Europe (Italy), Asia (China), South America (Chile), but not Antarctica.

HC: What’s your best memory from travelling abroad?

PO: Either singing “Born in the USA” in a karaoke bar in Chile, or getting lost in Shanghai alone at 2 in the morning.

HC: What is your favorite memory thus far at Pitt?

PO: Forbes Hall freshman year; we did pranks on everyone we knew. Best prank: we moved someone’s entire bed to the opposite end of the building.

HC: What legacy do you want to leave behind at Pitt?

PO: I’m really proud of the development of our fraternity, Delta Chi, and I love seeing all of our guys grow as leaders on campus. In addition to that, a friend and I are starting a consulting club – Students Consulting for Non-profit Organizations (SCNO) – check it out. It’s a great opportunity to use your skills to give back to the community. We’re really hoping it catches on at Pitt and becomes part of the culture here.

I am a junior at Pitt and I study literature and nonfiction writing, but my background is in chemistry and biology. I enjoy doing adventurous things that make me uncomfortable and scared (i.e., rock climbing, caving, walking through South Oakland). Otherwise, you will find me in my house either reading or talking about my tuxedo cat, Spooky.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt