This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: Maizee Devlin

Program: Currently doing Pitt in London

How did you get to study abroad?

I always knew I wanted studying abroad to be a part of my undergraduate career at Pitt because I love traveling, so I got more information on it and chose the place I wanted to go! I then followed the application steps and next thing I knew, I was on my way to London!

What do you wish you knew before you left?

I wish I knew that even though I picked a country which I thought would be the easiest to adjust to seeing as how we speak the same language, eat the same food, etc., London has a culture of its own. I think it is just as hard to adjust to the cultural differences here in London as it would be if you were studying abroad in France or Spain. Sometimes, I don’t understand what people are trying to say to me and sometimes they don’t understand me, which I find funny considering were both speaking English. It’s still so different! I also wish I knew how much I was going to miss American food. Granted, yes you can get most of the same food we eat at home here, but it just isn’t the same!

What is the best/funniest/most interesting story you have from abroad?

Unfortunately, the Paris terrorist attacks happened while I was studying abroad. This situation really opened my eyes. Studying abroad is such a privilege, but when you’re faced with terrible situations that are out of your control, you find yourself living in fear and missing the sense of security you have at home. Paris is two hours away from London. In the beginning of the school year, the school talked to us about what to do if there happened to be a terrorist attack or something of that nature and we all kind of brushed it off, like “that would never happen.” Yet here we found ourselves fearing that London would be the next place under attack. However, our school did an excellent job reassuring our safety but also reminding us of the steps we need to take if something like that did occur. They also sent out emergency texts to make sure all students were accounted for. On 9/11, I was in second grade and couldn’t comprehend what was going on at the time. Yet, being educated on these terrorist attacks, having them happen so close to where I am living, and even having friends who are studying in Paris gives me a new sense of what those felt on 9/11.

What is the most important lesson you learned?

The most important lesson that I have learned from studying abroad is that you can do a lot more than you think you can. If someone told me in the beginning of my college career that I would be living in London and traveling to all these different countries, I would have thought no way. Even learning to use the public transportation here in London was something I thought I could never do, but now I have it down. Studying abroad has taught me to not doubt myself and it has shown me that I am capable of figuring things out on my own. It has taught me to have patience and to always have a back-up plan. I think most importantly, it has taught me to always have an open mind. A lot of the unforgettable experiences I have had while studying abroad and traveling over Europe have come from trying new things and not being afraid to put myself out there.

I would HIGHLY recommend studying abroad to anyone who has the chance to do it. It not only helps you expand your experiences as an academic but it helps you grow as a person.

– Maizee Devlin

Junior Economics and Chinese major at Pitt! I am Fundraising chair for our fantastic Pink Level Chapter that was voted "Most Philanthropic" last year. Since I love volunteering and organizing people to help our Pittsburgh community, getting HC members into fun, innovative ways to build this community is my job. We also have fundraisers for both ourselves and our charity partner She's the First. To find out more about their amazing work check out https://www.shesthefirst.org/Look out for our HC Night Out tickets this October! Inquiries: jmc248@pitt.edu
Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.