The One With The Thanksgiving Episodes List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When I first decided to write this article, I was ecstatic. It meant I got to watch one of my favorite television shows for days straight, all in the name of “research.” Sorry, Once Upon a Time and Gossip Girl, I’ll return to you eventually. Right now, my focus is on Friends – specifically, the Thanksgiving episodes. It was expected that every season there would be a fun Thanksgiving episode, and the show never failed to deliver. Some of my favorite episodes are the Thanksgiving ones, so here’s my list from worst to best.

10. “The One with Rachel’s Other Sister” (Season 9)

In my opinion, this episode was not very eventful. The only thing I could think the whole time was “Why have we not seen Amy in the last nine seasons? Why has it taken this long when we met almost all of Rachel’s family already?” Weird. There is a side plot happening (while Amy manages to offend every single person) with Chandler and Monica’s wedding china. They go through all these precautions to keep the china nice, when in the end it all gets destroyed due to a dropped box. This episode could probably be skipped in the series and it would not make a difference.

9. “The One with Chandler in a Box” (Season 4)

This episode took place during the whole Kathy fiasco, affecting my favorite bromance, Chandler and Joey. Chandler agrees to get in a box to prove to Joey how sorry he is (eliminating face time for my favorite character). I didn’t care for Kathy, which made me sad that she was coming between Joey and Chandler. Also in this episode, Monica tries to hook up with Richard’s son. But when they kiss, they realize that Monica can only picture Richard when they kiss, while his son can only picture his mother (ew).

8. “The One with the Rumor” (Season 8)

Can I get a hell yeah for young Brad Pitt? What a gorgeous man. Although Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt were together at the time, they played enemies in this episode. Secrets are told during this episode, all having to do with high school. It took me back to my high school days with all the talk about rumors and gossip, which I did not like. Plus, there is very little focus on the other three friends (Pheobe, Chandler, and Joey) in this episode, which is sad. Brad Pitt is the reason this episode is not lower on the list.

7. “The One with the List.” (Season 2)

This episode happens after the big Ross and Rachel kiss, so it’s important to watch. But I don’t personally like Ross and Rachel together, which is why this episode is so low on the list. This episode leads to the two not speaking because of a stupid pros and cons list Ross made that of course Rachel finds because no one can ever be happy that easily, right? The fact that Ross made pros and cons lists for two different women to help him choose which one he should date is horrible, and I don’t even know why two women LIKE him. (Ross as a character makes me very angry – sorry Ross fans.)

6. “The One Where Chandler Doesn’t Like Dogs” (Season 7)

Who doesn’t like dogs? The answer is: Mr. Chandler Bing. He doesn’t even like puppies.  I just don’t understand how. Honestly that’s the reason this is low on the list. The only savior for this not being the worst is that Rachel’s assistant, Tag, tags (ha!) along with the gang for dinner. Tag is such a cutie and brings some funny moments to this episode.

5. “The One Where Underdog Gets Away” (Season 1)

This is a classic episode, and maybe I’m biased because it’s the first Friends Thanksgiving episode ever, but still. It’s a feel-good episode, specifically when the friends all pitch in to help buy Rachel a plane ticket so she can be with her family. Then, after all the circumstances that lead all the friends to eat together, they all get locked out of the apartment while watching the loose Underdog balloon. This leads to a dinner of grilled cheese, Funyuns, and wine after the real meal burns.

4. “The One with the Late Thanksgiving” (season 10)

This episode is a classic plot in Friends, where everything seems to go wrong but then is okay in the end. Ross and Joey have tickets to a game, while Phoebe and Rachel enter Emma into a baby beauty pageant. Both groups don’t know the other is going to be late to dinner, so there’s trouble when Monica and Chandler are the only ones in attendance. The two lock the other friends out and refuse to let them in. That is, until the two find out they’ve been approved for adoption. It’s a very heartwarming ending, as all the friends embrace over the good news.

3. “The One Where Ross Got High” (Season 6)

We can’t forget Rachel’s traditional English trifle, a.k.a. Feet Delight. While that is a highlight, and some fans have even made the disgusting dish themselves, the best part of the episode is the exchange between Ross and Monica, a perfect display of sibling tattling. I can’t even describe the sheer amazingness, so I’m going to include the clip here.

2. “The One with the Football” (Season 3)

You almost forget this episode is a Thanksgiving episode due to the lack of dinner in it, but it’s a nice change. The gang plays football in the park (boys vs. girls), and the sibling rivalry is on once again with Ross and Monica. It’s all over a weird-looking trophy with a troll on it, which seems ridiculous, but has meaning to the siblings. The episode ends with the siblings still in the park holding onto a football, while everyone else enjoys dinner in the apartment. This episode is just so fun, and definitely one you see re-playing on television periodically.

1. “The One with All the Thanksgivings” (Season 5)

And, of course, my favorite Thanksgiving episode. I’m biased because I love Monica and Chandler (Mondler ftw). This episode is filled with flashbacks from past Thanksgivings, which treats us to bad fashion and hairdos from the gang. The flashbacks lead Chandler to realize Monica overheard him call her fat at a past Thanksgiving, which led to her weight loss, which led to her wanting to humiliate him, which led to her dropping a knife on his toe, which led to him losing part of said toe. Chandler storms off mad, and Monica tries to cheer him up by putting the turkey on her head and dancing around. They’re so caught up in the laughter and the moment that Chandler accidentally tells her he loves her. Is that #RelationshipGoals or what?

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Madison is a Sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh and is majoring in Psychology. She enjoys drawing, music, pugs, and fro-yo.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt