This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Standup comedy is a form of entertainment that has been historically dominated by men. The legends like Henny Youngman, George Carlin, and Rodney Dangerfield have now been replaced by Louie C.K., Kevin Hart, and Aziz Ansari. I think all of these men are hilarious for various reasons, but as a fan of standup, I’ve noticed a significant lack of attention for female comics that are just as funny as their male counterparts. Here are my five favorite standup comedy specials featuring some hilarious comediennes that you can find on Netflix instant.

Illiza Shlesinger: War Paint (2013)

Shlesinger’s special was probably my favorite out of all of these. She has a hilarious intensity about her that she brings to the forefront with amazing cartoon-like voices she uses during her act. My favorite bit of hers is when she talks about how women think and act when they drink. Spoiler alert: it is stereotypically “white girl.” If you’ve ever had a few too many glasses of white wine or taken too many shots of vodka with your friends at the bar, you’ll be in stitches laughing at Illiza. 

Kathleen Madigan: Madigan Again (2013)

Madigan has a great act for fans of rather highbrow comedy. She brings with her a witty Irish sense of humor as she talks about world events, politics, and her crazy Irish-Catholic Midwestern parents. Madigan’s comedy is incredibly relatable as she responds to strange situations she finds herself in, in much the same way we all would: with sarcasm.

Morgan Murphy: Irish Goodbye (2013)

Morgan Murphy is a lot like that friend you have who is really antisocial, but completely deadpan all the time. Her mellow vibe and deadpan nature really adds to her wonderful self-deprecating sense of humor. This comes out especially well when she talks about her awful love life and the amount of money she spends at bars. Morgan Murphy has a unique style all her own that is perfect for the hardcore fan of standup.

Women Who Kill (2012)

For fans of edgy comedy, Women Who Kill is the one for you. This special features comediennes Amy Schumer, Rachel Feinstein, Nikki Glaser, and Marina Franklin splitting time in a one hour special. Topics in this special include dating, pregnancy, racism, and many other topics that would easily offend those with sensitive constitutions. While I wish this special could have been longer, all four of these women are incredibly talented and have no problem pushing the envelope.

Joan Rivers: Don’t Start with Me (2012)

What list of comediennes would be complete without the queen herself, Joan Rivers (sorry Beyoncé)? Most people know Rivers from her time ripping on celebrities’ outfits on Fashion Police and the red carpet. In this special, she returns to her roots as a standup comic and it is everything you would expect. No one is safe from her biting wit as she insults almost every celebrity and group of people. It is amazing to watch an icon own the stage the way Joan does. You do not want to pass up on the opportunity to watch Joan Rivers at her best, but be sure to check your sensitivities at the door.

This is just a small sample of the wide variety of comediennes out there and I truly believe there’s a comedian for everyone. All these women are exceptionally talented and really gave me a good laugh. So take a break from Scandal or Orange is the New Black and use Netflix to have a few laughs.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I am a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Psychology and minoring in Political Science. I love writing and I have an opinion about virtually anything. I tend to write a lot about relationships and I try to add my unique male perspective to Her Campus. I enjoy listening to music, standup comedy, watching sports, and reading. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt