Norman F*****g Rockwell Told by a Pitt Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Lana Del Rey has returned and is leaving no eye dry as she once again sings her way into all of our hearts with her new album, Norman F*****g Rockwell. She’s back and better than ever; Time even named the album the “first front-to-back masterpiece” of her career. Lana is known for stirring up everyone’s feels through her melancholic and emotion-ridden songs, and it’s always interesting to find out how her songs can apply to your own life…or, for the purpose of this article, how they can apply to situations that all Pitt students are familiar with. Shall we?

1. “Mariners Apartment Complex

“You lose your way, just take my hand

You’re lost at sea, then I’ll command your boat to me again

Don’t look too far, right where you are, that’s where I am

I’m your man”

This is for all of you living up on the hill. The 10A is constantly a saving grace, a light in the dark…a true blessing. It leads the way in times of darkness when you simply don’t have it in you to go on anymore. So, “don’t look too far,” those on the hill, the 10A is always there to guide you home. Simply take its hand and remember it’s always “your man.” It has your back, unlike your stamina while walking up that inhumane hill.

2. “Cinnamon Girl

“If you hold me without hurting me

You’ll be the first who ever did”

Cathy, you know we love you. You’re our girl, our home-skillet biscuit. However, that doesn’t always mean you’re comfortable. Every time I sit down at a table in Cathy, I think to myself, maybe this time my back and butt won’t hurt while I study here. Sadly, that hope has yet to come to fruition, and I haven’t met a Cathy chair who hasn’t “hurt” me in some way. If I find one that doesn’t, it’ll be “the first who ever did.” Will the pain stop me from studying there, though? Most definitely not.

3. “The Next Best American Record

“And we were so obsessed with writing the next best American record That we gave all we had ’til the time we got to bed

‘Cause we knew we could”

Essays are hard work, I know. They’re never fun, but they’re necessary, and this song might make the writing experience a little bit better (if not simply more aesthetically pleasing). Here’s the perfect song to listen to the night before that big essay is due, and you’re working hard to get it just right. Who knows, it just might be the next best American essay! Who’s to say?

4. “The greatest

“I’m facing the greatest The greatest loss of them all”

The 7/11 on Forbes. Need I say more?

5. “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have—but I have it

“Don’t ask if I’m happy, you know that I’m not But at best, I can say I’m not sad ‘Cause hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have”

Being risky is a part of the college game, and having hope in stressful times goes hand in hand with that. For example: going into a test that you’ve barely studied for. Only the best of us have been there. Sure, we always have faith in ourselves that we can pull through it, and we always hope for the best… but that doesn’t make it any less dangerous.

Happy listening, Panthers!

Photo credit: 1

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anne is in the class of 2020 at Pitt and is majoring in English Literature with a minor in German and Creative Writing. She loves to read, watch movies/TV, and make every situation as awkward as possible. 
Erin is the President of HC Pitt. She is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Besides Her Campus, she is also involved in Pitt American Society of Civil Engineers. When Erin isn't studying, you can find her dancing, binging New Girl, jamming out to John Mayer or exploring the Burgh!