This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s time to welcome what every student needs: another streaming service as a way to procrastinate all the work and priorities we have. Joining the ranks of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and more is Disney +, just in time for the end of semester stress. Watch the trailer here! The service is launching with a long list of more than 600 titles, including names all the way from Captain Marvel to The Sound of Music to Star Wars to The Princess Diaries. Basically, it has almost every Disney movie you can imagine.

Disney+ is also boasting numerous original projects that will be coming to the platform. That list of oncoming content is also a large one; Disney lovers have much to look forward to! There will be a new series centered around Loki starring Tom Hiddleston, a new Obi-Wan Kenobi series starring Ewan McGregor, an adaptation of Jerry Spinelli’s beloved novel Stargirl (the number of times I read that book when I was little is large) and so, so much more! At launch, only a few original titles will be available. Some of these include: The Mandalorian, a new Star Wars series, High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, a live-action remake of The Lady and the Tramp and Noelle, a Christmas movie starring Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader.

Photo by Disney via Pop Sugar

Photo by Disney via Collider

The service has a seven-day free trial and beyond that costs $6.99 per month. Will you be adding Disney+ to your collection of streaming services? Personally, I find myself going back and forth on the decision. There’s no arguing with the fact that the platform has—and will continue to add over time—tons of amazing content. Looking at all the titles that are offered is…tempting, to say the least. I mean, it’s Disney! I love it as much as the next person. However, I also find myself struggling with my conscience on this decision as Disney continues to dominate more and more of the entertainment business, increasingly raising the difficulty for independent projects to truly pave their way into the industry. The corporation is truly taking no prisoners, and the new Disney+ service is another example of it expanding its reach into every corner it can squeeze itself into. But it’s here in any case, so it will be interesting to see how it fits into the already established streaming services.

Anne is in the class of 2020 at Pitt and is majoring in English Literature with a minor in German and Creative Writing. She loves to read, watch movies/TV, and make every situation as awkward as possible. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt