This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’re in need of a new show to binge watch during the weekends or breaks between classes, I’ve got you covered. Netflix’s new hit show, Archive 81, is a show that will keep you guessing and reeling you in to watch more and more. Released on January 14th, Archive 81 has already earned a 84% rating on Rotten Tomatoes for its first season. Once you watch the first episode, I promise you will be hooked! 

With all of the suspense that follows the pilot, Archive 81 will be sure to capture your attention. The protagonist Dan Turner is offered the job of a lifetime by Virgil Davenport, CEO of the company LMG. Being employed for his special skills with archives, Virgil enlists Dan to help restore video tapes to find out exactly what happened at the Visser Apartments in New York City. Inspired by horror movies alike, the show takes on a found-footage atmosphere. Watch as Dan unfolds the mystery that revolves around the Visser Apartments, especially with Melody Pendras, the young woman behind the videotapes being made. Melody ends up at the Visser to complete an oral history for her degree. However, there seems to be something more pulling Melody to New York City. Follow Dan as he’s transported back to 1994 to try to answer all of the questions that remain about what exactly happened to Melody and the rest of the residents at the Visser. Watch as Dan learns the secrets that are hidden within the walls of the apartments that some residents have chosen to keep.

Archive 81 is the newest thrilling sensation to come from Netflix. The show brings in a dynamic format that I’ve never seen in a show before with a mixture of horror and thriller. Every single episode, up until the last one, leaves you guessing and pining for more. Follow Dan and Melody as they learn more and more about what lies behind the doors of the Visser. Watch with Dan as Melody encounters strange residents, mysterious floors and even more lurking behind the walls. The show will be sure to keep you on your toes as Dan dives deeper into the mystery that is behind those tapes. Each new episode brings in new elements from the story behind the Visser and its residents, and will make all of your horror and thriller dreams come true. There are only eight episodes in the season and each episode runs for about 45 minutes to an hour, making it easy and manageable to fit in your busy class schedule. 

This show is a must-see! Once you watch it, you’ll be like me waiting for the show to be renewed for its second season! Why exactly did Melody Pendras choose the Visser and what keeps her there? What exactly caused the fire at Visser Apartments? What will Dan find on those tapes? You’ll just have to watch to find out! 

Serena is a Junior at the University of Pittsburgh who is majoring in English Writing with minors in Creative Writing and Legal Studies. When she's not writing short stories for class, Serena loves to write for HC Pitt, listen to music, and watch Jersey Shore!