This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I am a huge One Direction fan, and in honor of One Direction announcing a new, fabulous album, I decided to take a look back into the depths of their popularity, to remember the times I laughed and cried with the boys. Before Harry had reached his perfect man-bun, before Zayn was engaged, and before Liam turned ungodly attractive. With the huge task at hand, to review the old music videos of One Direction, I charged up my laptop, made myself a bowl of popcorn, and got to work.

1. “What Makes You Beautiful”

This is a good place to begin because this was their first single and it sky-rocketed them to stardom; also, they look like little babies. Harry’s hair might actually have a mind of its own. I completely forgot Zayn wore gage-like earrings in this. Also, why are they singing this on a beach? Everyone knows the beach is beautiful. I have decided, after looking at Zayn’s face, that he has better eyelashes than I ever will and I just need to accept that. How did these girls get this job to frolic on a beach with One Direction? Where do I sign up? To the girl that Harry sings to: I commend your will power to not kiss him while he is that close and while his beautiful voice is trickling right into your ears.

2. “One Thing”

Thank you, stylist, for making them wear formal-ish wear: The general population of girls applauds you. Harry’s hair is not as quiffed to the side as the previous video, but it still is a beautiful head of hair. I wonder what products he uses. This video is, once again, One Direction running around and being funny, however, I am not complaining as it completely works for them, especially for Zayn in his suit. Have I mentioned Zayn is my favorite? I am enjoying exploring London with them, whilst they serenade me, telling me I am the One Thing they need, because I completely agree. Liam’s voice is like butter to my ears, as if that made any sense.

Side note: I am willing to start a petition to have One Direction ride around on a double decker bus in Pittsburgh, then sing in the Quad.

3. “Live While We’re Young”

Opening on a shot of Harry’s face is never a bad thing; it is actually quite encouraged. Are they at a festival, and if so where is it and how do I go? Still unsure how I feel about Zayn’s hair style in this—his random streak of blonde is a little different. I have always dreamt of the day I, too, could play in a pond with Louis and Liam. To describe Harry’s hair in this video would take too much time, although I am still wondering what product makes hair shine and quiff that way. I remember the first time I watched this I freaked out because they were all in the pool and I, too, wanted to be in that pool. Bright side to this pool: we get an insight in what Harry’s hair looks like not quiffed. I wish Niall got more screen time—I think this was still when he was overlooked.

4. “Little Things”

As fun as it is to bop around to fast paced songs, listening to One Direction’s slow songs is always a treat. Seeing Liam’s haircut makes me scream, NO. So sentimental in black and white. Louis is so correct, his beautiful face is so right about me having a cup of tea before bed; it’s as if he knows me. Update on Harry’s hair: it resembles the first video. How do five boys have better hair than me? Niall’s voice makes me swoon, how does he not have more solos?

Sidenote: This is such a beautiful video, but it makes me wish that they would all serenade me telling me they loved me.

5. “Best Song Ever”

Zayn makes a beautiful girl. This might be my favorite Harry hairstyle yet, although it does not come close to his perfected man bun. The way they begin this song with the instrumental just gets me pumped to dance and jam out. I say this whilst I am beginning to dance in my seat, spilling popcorn everywhere. Admittedly, I am not watching this music video as much because I am dancing instead. The idea of the alternate personalities is quite funny.

Side note: I actually had to apologize to my studying roommate for blasting this too loud.

6. “Story of My Life”

My head has already exploded from beauty and I am currently 00:25 seconds in. It’s like tattoo central in this video, but I don’t hate it. The video concept for this one is pretty cool, taking old pictures and putting them into them. Niall, you can wear that sweater any day and still look fiiine. Thankfully, Liam has begun to grow out his hair. Louis looks like a Greek god in this music video, so rugged and beautiful at the same time. I wish he had sung more, his voice is so different. The longer Louis is on my screen the more I will rant about him. Harry’s hair update: it looks shorter but I know that’s deceiving because of his man bun, I know it is creeping around the corner. Louis just showed up again and I raised my hands up because I could not handle his beauty.

Side note: I have absolutely no idea what this song is about, and if anyone could fill me in it would be much appreciated.

Second side note: I rewatched this video, once to stare a little longer at Louis and another time to sing along.

I cannot stop fangirling about this band. Even after going to one concert, I vow to go again.  Here is a link to their first single to the new album:

Don’t forget to listen to their new snippet of their new song “Steal My Girl!”

Image credit: 1, 2

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt