Wellness > Mental Health

My Friends are Giving Up Their Social Media Accounts and Apparently It’s Better Than Therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Most college students’ short-lived, if not well-meaning, new year’s resolutions typically include eating healthier, going to the gym more, and getting enough sleep. But giving up our prized social media accounts? Never. Even those of us who aren’t tweeting 24/7 still keep up with our social accounts pretty regularly. But giving up this prized possession isn’t as awful as it sounds – it’s actually pretty liberating.

1. Resisting the Urge to Check your Phone is HARD, but it’s really good for your productivity

“Prior to deleting my apps, I was looking on social media compulsively. Now, I use the time I would have spent looking on social media to doing school work.”

Maggie*

“I developed an unhealthy routine where I’d received a text message or news alert…check the notification…and then immediately swipe over to my social media apps as if that was actually the reason I opened my phone. Long after this dangerous cycle had been ingrained into my brain and muscle memory, I realized that I had allowed myself to fall victim to social media and needed to change something. I actually changed my phone to read in military time…in the hopes that it would prevent me from constantly checking it-it sort of worked!”

Grace*

“During class, I put my phone on airplane mode and find that I have a better engagement with my surroundings and am not focused on whatever is dominating social media at that moment.”

Zahava

2. You’ll feel happier if you do

“My happiest days are undoubtedly those in which I spend the least time connected to my phone. It’s remarkable how seeing pictures of other people’s’ activities can send me into such an unpleasant place, whether they are good friends, peers, someone I like in high school, etc.”

Grace*

“My mood has definitely improved since not being on [social media] apps…it definitely helps me focus on more important things.”

Maggie*

“Every weekend I am very optimistic that I could [potentially] make a new friend, which many people aren’t interested in because they [already] have their “online” friends. Being constantly worried about what you look like online ultimately distracts you from how you present yourself in real life.”

Zahava

3. You’ll have more high-quality interactions (and talking is the best therapy, right?)

“The best conversations occur when my phone is not touching me or in my line of vision. It’s surprisingly easy to forget about your phone when it isn’t actively reminding you of its presence. It’s also easy to forget that nothing (with a few exceptions) deserves your focus more than the thing or person you’re physically with.”

Grace*

“I think my conversations with people have been better because it is really hard to multitask.”

Maggie*

“I love being more directly connected to the people I am around. The people I see during those times [when my phone is off] are truly my close friends, which goes to show you the importance of shutting down your electronics and actually living in the moment.”

Zahava

Personally, I’ve actually given up my phone on some Saturdays when I’m with friends observing the Sabbath. When they put their phones away, I put mine away too. When no one else is looking at their phones, I forget about my phone too, and the desire to check it goes away for a few hours. College students lead such busy lives that it can be hard to just be in the moment, but it feels nice to forget about the world and just focus on the great people that are in front of you.”

4. Less phone time can be a great pick-me-up

“If I’m having an off day and it becomes an off-few days, I find that temporarily deleting my social media is very helpful in jump-starting my self-esteem. Removing the app removes the temptation to check it which removes the possibility of seeing something that could contribute to my off day.”

Grace*

“I have a problem with the green monster: jealousy. So, I typically try to stay away from looking at people’s Snapchat stories and so on because I can get very irritated. I love not being able to be reached [when I turn off my phone] and not worrying about what others are doing because there is nothing I could do about it anyway.”

Zahava

Most people posting on social media are usually showing off all of the amazing, fun things that they’re doing. If you’re having a really bad day, it stands to reason that constantly looking at everyone else’s great days won’t make you feel any better. In fact, it will probably only prolong your sadness. Binging Netflix, going for a run, reading a book, or doing something that you love to do will probably elevate your mood way faster. But most importantly, never underestimate the power of a good friend or significant other, it always feels good to know that there is someone there for you when you need it.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

*name has been changed

Travel.Photography.Fashion
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt