Movie Quotes That Will Make Your Life a Little More Magical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Life can be monotonous. Life can be depressing. Life can be… scarily uninspiring, especially for us college students. I know I, for one, frequently wonder to myself, what’s the point? At times, life seems to solely revolve around an endless array of tests, early morning alarms, classes, homework, essays, applications, interviews and other trials that constantly force us to ask the questions: will we be successful? Are we good enough? Will we make it as a real functioning human in this crazy world (that seems to be getting scarier and darker by the minute)? For me, a constant solace in life are movies and how they remind me how wondrous life can really be. Sure, I might not be living the adventurous lives of the characters I watch (yet, at least), but they still remind me of the magic that’s out there in the world, and they inspire me to go search for it. Movies teach me lessons about life and illustrate how it’s not always easy—and that’s okay! We can get through it anyway.

Here are some of my favorite movie quotes that remind me to sprinkle a little movie magic into my life, and may they do the same for you.

We Bought a Zoo

“You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”

This is a permanent mantra that lives in my thoughts. As someone who suffers from anxiety, it’s had no small effect. So, think of this the next time anxiety is nipping at your heels. Start your 20 seconds and go. Raise your hand in class. Ask your crush out. Stand up to that bully.

Thor: Ragnarok

“I make grave mistakes all the time. Everything seems to work out.”

Mistakes are a fact of life, so accept them, laugh at them, learn from them and move on. Everything will be okay. Thor promises.

https://media.giphy.com/media/8zlQOJh33dYAM/giphy.gif

(Gif by Unknown via Giphy)

A League of Their Own

“It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.”

When you’re studying for the MCAT, the LSAT or whatever that next big test is and you start to dwell on how hard everything is, remember: yes, it is hard, and that’s why it’s special and worthwhile.

Whiplash

“There are no two words in the English language more harmful than ‘good job.’”

This is an important lesson to keep in mind the next time you get a strong critique, whether that be on an essay or a skill you’re trying to develop. If a mentor or professor always told you “good job,” you would never grow. Your mentors want you to be the very best you can be, and for you to reach that point, you should never get comfortable with your skills. Be thankful for advice you receive, take it to heart and keep getting better.  

A Cinderella Story

“Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.”

Never let fear stop you from doing anything. Face it down and laugh in its face.

Amélie

“So, my little Amélie, you don’t have bones of glass. You can take life’s knocks. If you let this chance pass, eventually, your heart will become as dry and brittle as my skeleton. So, go get him, for Pete’s sake!”

You’re stronger than you think you are, I promise. Don’t let the voice of doubt in your head ever win; don’t let chances pass you by.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/c86a1d2874c7a5ec60c1dc7e4fb32662/tumblr_pdq0hjWJON1s57p7qo1_540.gifv

(Gif by jodiesmariecomer via Tumblr)

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again

“Life is short, the world is wide. I want to make some memories.”

With the talk of the impending doom of climate change everywhere, it’s easy to get lost in the fact that life very well may be, in fact, very short. I mean, the memes on Twitter are endless. I’m not here to give truth to that or not, but in any case, the popular lesson stands: don’t take anything for granted. Do that thing you want to do, go to that place you want to go to and simply be who you want to be.

10 Things I Hate About You

“Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want. Go for it.”

Facts!

https://media.giphy.com/media/efBXkUxX5Z1jq/giphy.gif

(Gif by Amanda Peterson via Giphy)

Legally Blonde

“I don’t need back-ups. I’m going to Harvard.”

Channel your inner Elle Woods, and don’t take no for an answer.

Hercules

“I’m a damsel. I’m in distress. I can handle this. Have a nice day.”

A wonderful thing to think about the next time you’re walking up the hill.

Mary Poppins Returns

“When the world turns upside down, the best thing is to turn right along with it.”

Welcome the unexpected and have fun with it instead of stressing.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ynw2T9ZWhOOly/giphy.gif

(Gif by Unknown via Giphy)

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

“My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice.”

Really, what good does worrying do? Believe me, I know it’s easier said than done, but when you feel those butterflies in your stomach, decide to not dwell on whatever is causing them. What will be will be; worrying accomplishes nothing. Do what you need to do, and don’t suffer twice.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

“I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth botherin’ with.”

Be unabashedly you.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

“Every great wizard in history has started out as nothing more than what we are now: students. If they can do it, why not us?”

There’s a lot that needs fixing on this earth, and we might just be students now, but we won’t be forever. These students are coming for you, world.

The Imitation Game

“Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of, who do the things no one can imagine.”

Never think you’re irrelevant.

https://data.whicdn.com/images/271424067/original.gif

(Gif by rallentalatuacorsa via weheartit)

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

“A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.”

The perfect retort for when you walk into class late.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

“Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?”

When everything looks bleak, when you’ve barely studied for that test you’re walking into and you can’t possibly see yourself coming out the other side unscathed… go for it anyway and keep a sense of humor along the way.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Anne is in the class of 2020 at Pitt and is majoring in English Literature with a minor in German and Creative Writing. She loves to read, watch movies/TV, and make every situation as awkward as possible. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt