Motivation and Food for Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Okay, Ladies.  The Valentine’s Day craze just passed, the semester is starting to pick up in workload with midterms coming soon, and it is still close to frigid outside.  But wait – try not to get stuck in the slums!  There are some significant positive factors in our lives to consider.  We have spring break coming up, the weather is going to warm up really soon, and most of all – we are in college!  It may be cliché to say, but we literally are currently living the best years of our lives.  Think about it.  College life is filled with learning, playing, laughing, working hard and all the while, we get to enjoy being young. 

When we graduate college, it is probably off to the work force for most of us and although that is no doubt a new and exciting time of our lives, we will definitely never have another college experience.  So make sure you are taking in every day and making your college experience the best time of your life.  We have so many opportunities all around us to do something different and I know that even I, a senior in my last semester of college, haven’t taken full advantage of all that surrounds us.  There are so many areas where you can shop, eat, explore, and experience the rich parts of Pittsburgh.    

If you enjoy nature like plants and animals, stop at Phipps Conservatory, the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, and the Aviary.  Right in the heart of Oakland, the huge Schenley Park is a great place to exercise, play sports with your friends, hike, picnic, and just plain explore.  Also, the spectacular Phipps Conservatory is located in Schenley.  Phipps is filled with 17 different public garden rooms with beautiful plants.  You can enjoy brunch in the warm tropical rooms, listen to scheduled music performances like steel drums, and wonder at the changing exhibits and events.  The Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium is a fantastic $10 day.  Go to see over 400 species of animals!  Then, head to the National Aviary where numerous species of birds fly freely in their habitats.  Try to pet and feed them. 

If you would rather be shopping, dining, or engaging in night life, then be sure to visit the numerous places right around Oakland and even in the city.  Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and Bloomfield are all located very close to campus.  In the city, Southside, Station Square, Point Park, and Mt. Washington all boast spectacular views, a variety of restaurants and shopping, and exciting nightlife. 

For a luxurious day go to Shadyside and find tantalizing bakeries, cafes, and pubs, shop at Apple, Coach, and Gap, and be pampered at the many salons.  The Jewish community of Squirrel Hill makes for excellent dining like Murray Avenue Grill and unique boutiques like Avalon Exchange.  Bloomfield is known as Pittsburgh’s Little Italy with treats for you to indulge in like cannoli and tortellini sitting in the shops’ windows.     

Take a bus to the city for free with your Pitt ID to experience Southside, Station Square, and Mt. Washington.  Southside has so much to offer whether you are craving a piercing, wanting vintage clothes, or trying to get your groove on.  It is well known for its strips of bars which provide a fantastic night life.  Also, there are so many restaurants to choose from, no matter what you are in the mood to eat, and so many shops you will be dying to see what is next.  Station Square is a great area to bar hop and eat.  It is located right on the River, boasts a beautiful view of the city, and you can even take a cruise!  The best view of Pittsburgh is no doubt on top of Mt.Washington.  Take the famous incline up to the top and enjoy the breathtaking view of the city at night.

Experience the rich cultured arts around Pittsburgh by visiting the many museums.  Right in Oakland there is the Carnegie Museum with tons of exhibits from art, to dinosaurs, to stones and gems.  The famous works of artist Andy Warhol can be seen and marveled at in his museum and The Mattress Factory is an art museum sure to leave you stunned.  You can also visit the History Center and the Carnegie Science Center for a quirky yet educational day. 

There are a plethora of unique opportunities for you to engage in during your college experience.  I urge you to try and see and do everything to make the most out of your time at the University of Pittsburgh. It is easy to get caught up in the mundane routines of every day, but take the girls out to one or all of these places for a refreshing and fun change of pace.  Do everything you can while you are a young girl in a great city.  Get involved on campus in clubs, try a new sport at the Peterson Events Center or Tress Hall – just go explore.  Staying active and trying new things that are right under your nose will make you feel better about yourself, your life, and where you are headed.  College life is supposed to be the best part of your life.  So go out there and take on the world!

Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.