Milk’s Favorite Cookie Becomes Your Favorite Truffle – The Dorm-Et Chef

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Who doesn’t love Oreos? Let’s be honest, not only are they the foundation of our childhood nostalgia, but they are the perfect combination of sweetness. Even if you’re an Oreo purist and believe that the only way our favorite black and white cookies should be eaten is with a tall glass of milk, you’ll fall in love with this recipe. Now you’d think that something as fancy as a truffle would be complicated and take a long time to make, but the only daunting thing about it is having to restrain yourself from eating each and every one. Cream cheese and cookie crumbs are combined to form a thick, fudgy center and then the ball is dipped into velvety melted chocolate that forms a thick outside layer to bite into. You may not believe it, but this recipe only calls for 3, yes, three, ingredients, so there are virtually no excuses for not trying to make these treats.

Ingredients

1 Package of Oreos (regular stuffed is perfect)

8 oz. cream cheese – softened

1/2 cup semi – sweet chocolate chips

Equipment

Large bowl

Small microwaveable bowl

Large ziplock bag

Spoon for mixing/stirring

Flat pan or plate

Directions

1. Fill a plastic bag with an entire box of Oreos, and use your hands, books, or other heavy object (get creative!) to smash them up until they are fine – make sure there are no big clumps of cookie left!

2. Place the cream cheese into a large bowl and add the pulverized Oreos.

3. Mix with a wooden spoon until the cream cheese has incorporated into the cookie mixture and a thick paste has formed.

4. Use a smaller spoon to scoop out the chocolatey Oreo-ey cream cheesy paste and roll into a ball the size of a ping pong ball. (about one inch)

5. Place the Oreo balls onto a plate or pan then refrigerate for 30 minutes. In the meantime, place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes.

6. After the thirty minutes has elapsed, begin this process with all the Oreo balls:

7. Grab an Oreo ball, dip it in the melted chocolate, and place the Oreo ball back onto the baking sheet.

8. Let these sit out for 20 minutes, until the chocolate has hardened.

And voilá! You have dozens of perfect, chocolatey, truffles.

Makes about 3 dozen truffles

Image Credit: 1

Elaine is a food loving, FRIENDS watching, Oxford comma enthusiast who has a passion for writing. She is a Business Information Systems and Human Resources Management double major and shares a love for people, languages, and technology. When she isn't experimenting in the kitchen or posting on @AndAChocolateDrizzle, she is either reading, laughing, or venturing through the city on the hunt for the best slice of pizza. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt