Midterms Stink, Here’s How to Survive Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As we approach the halfway mark in the semester, we also approach midterms. Here are a few tips to keep the stress down (fingers crossed).

Don’t skip meals
I’m the biggest offender of this rule. Normally, I skip all three meals to spend as much time in the library studying or finishing my papers during midterms. However, I realize that when I do eat, I am often more focused and on point than with a diet of energy drinks and no food at all.

Take Vitamins. Be healthy!
With a change in the weather, comes a higher chance of getting a cold. In order to stay healthy, take a multivitamin or eat fruits and vegetables to keep your immune system fighting off infection.

Sleep, or at least try to.
Although staying up to the early hours of the morning or pulling an all-nighter to study for a midterm might seem like a good idea, it is still important to try to get some sleep. If you’re not energized and awake for your test, how successful will your brain perform on the exam?

Manage your time.
During midterms, I normally write out a “to do” list for the week to keep track of exams and due dates for my papers. A planner works as well. Also, focus your time on the subjects you are most worried about and try to review for those subjects a couple of days in advance. Your rate of success on an exam is significantly higher if you spend multiple days studying, rather than the night before.

Keep distractions to a minimum.
-With social networking such a prominent aspect of our lives, it is hard to avoid a Facebook or Twitter break while studying. However, try to keep it to a minimum. The more you’re distracted, the less time you focus on the material you’re studying. If you don’t need to bring your laptop to study, then leave it at home to avoid this distraction. If you do need it, reward yourself with a “Facebook break” after you’ve completed studying a chapter or a page of a paper.

http://healthyrams.wordpress.com/category/midtermsfinals/

Whaddup doe?! I'm Lindsay Franko. 20 year-old Pitt Junior from Allentown, Pennsylvania. I love to write and always have. If you ladies (or guys) have any suggestions slash ideas for articles that you'd like me to write, send 'emmm in. I'm all about making others happy. Until then, HCXOXOLinds