This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Position: Senior Lecturer

Department: History

Courses: Post 1945 U.S. History, Capstone Seminar about Integration (for History Majors), Afro American History 1 and 2, United States since 1865

Whoever thinks that historians are gruff, old men, with long beards and white hair have obviously never been in a class taught by Doctor Liann Tsoukas (who also goes by just Professor or just Liann). In her dynamic lectures, students get the unique opportunity to engage with, and have a conversation about, historical facts rather than just getting lectured about them. Professor Tsoukas’s lectures were so engaging that she won a Bellet Award in 2013, which is a University wide teaching award that a nominated Professor who excels in teaching at Pitt receives. She fosters such a good relationship with every student in her class that her courses are like Lays: you can’t take just one. (Authors Note: I have taken three so far.) Professor Tsoukas is always excited to meet new students, so if you are thinking about taking a class with her, read more about her here:

Her Campus: What made you decide to study history?

Liann Tsoukas: I have always liked history, I was an American studies major during my undergraduate degree. It was the best thing to know, I liked to know. It explained a lot to me.

HC: What is your concentration in history and why?

LT: Contemporary United States and mostly African American studies. I had a grad school professor that really inspired me, though his teaching style was not the same as mine. I loved the intellectual world of American history, the culture and the narrative. When I was in school the African American world was new and seeing it all for the first time, it was like a whole secret world that I hadn’t seen before, even though it was discouraging.

HC: What is the best part of being a professor?

LT: The students. Getting to know the students definitely.

HC: Is there a particular moment in the student professor relationship that really stands out to you?

LT: Today in lecture (1/30/2016) because everyone was with it, everyone was following what I was saying. You get the feeling in the room and see students engaged in the material or not.  I love all aspects of being a professor; especially when students send me things—like articles, songs, or people I need to meet. In those moments I love learning as much as I love teaching. When students are comfortable with me that they send me things, that is the ideal intellectual environment.

HC: Who is your favorite historical figure?

LT: Malcolm X. A lot of  powerful women as well, but Malcom X just left such a complete record, the way he changed, and that he was snapped down before he was able to really help the movement… He could have guided, with his passion, intellect, wisdom, respect, and his ability to make the most of the environment he was in. 

HC: Have you ever been a part of a cool historical movement/event?

LT: When I was in grad school I was able to interact with a lot of important people, Wilma Rudolph  (The first woman to win a gold medal in the Olympics) Shirley Chisholm (bucked the black male system and ran for president), and Harry Edwards (architect of black power salute in 1968 Olympic Games). These were accidents, but I always took advantage of those moments. 

HC: I remember from class a pretty spectacular experience you had with a former President?

LT: *laughs* Yes, Richard Nixon used to live next to me, he moved into an old run down house. I had this radical professor in grad school, but she started as a presidential historian, and she knew I lived next to him. She wanted to write his biography, and she asked me to sneak a letter into the secret service (which he still had). He actually agreed to it, and the book is Nixon Reconsidered. Later he said he wanted her to write it because he wanted to argue with the person who was writing it. 

HC: Your concentration is in Afro-American history, which is something that is becoming more prevalent on college campuses today. How have you seen race relations change here at Pitt during your time here?

LT: Yeah, I think we are in a different time recently. I think people are heightened and aware, and we are in a period of creative confusion . We aren’t quite moving in a direction yet, but that’s good because lines are being blurred and assumptions are getting tested and challenged. We are in a ripe time where we are educating a citizenry, but you students are adults, and you are able to go out and do, or not do, but understand and make your choices.

HC: When you’re not teaching do you do anything cool?

LT: I am pretty consumed with my kids’ lives, and just engaging in family life. But I try to go to as much as I can, see speakers on campus and other things.

HC: What would you tell an aspiring historian or someone who wants to study history?

LT: Walk the ground. You have to go where your subjects were. Gain visceral understanding. This summer my family went to Richmond and it was 1000 degrees and miserable, but it made me appreciate that moment of history even more.  History isn’t just a distant era; you have to engage it and feel it on every level. 

Photo Credit: 1

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt