Meet HC Pitt’s Founder Derilyn Freeman!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Full Name: Derilyn Devlin Freeman

Graduated: 2012

Works at: New York Life

Her Campus: What motivated you to start Her Campus Pitt? What was your experience with starting the chapter? 

Derilyn Freeman: I’ve always been passionate about writing, as well as running with ideas I feel in my gut will work! As soon as I learned about Her Campus, the excitement of what this idea could eventually become at Pitt was really what motivated me. I also loved the idea of having a place where I could write opinion pieces and have an audience to share them with. Selfish? Yup. So, I told everyone in all of my classes about it and that’s really how I first built up the team! It was the idea that if we could just get it started and build some momentum behind it, I knew it would last. It was a strong team effort and I couldn’t possible name everyone that helped get it started but Chelsea Vecchiarelli and Mandy Velez put some serious time in to get this ball rolling and it never would have happened without those two. Our faculty advisor, Dr. Jerry Shuster believed in us whole-heartedly, did whatever we asked of him, and encouraged us all the way. Lots of late nights and plenty of missed deadlines, but we kept it going and look at you now!

HC: How did you get into financial advising? 

DF: I never imagined I would be doing this. I was working at a nonprofit with college students before this. It was actually something that happened within my own family that sparked my desire to learn more about personal finances. My mom went out on permanent disability from work and all I wanted to do was help in some small way so I threw myself into learning what I could. I took the job at New York Life, assuming I would fail out within 6 months and go back to a “normal job,” but what did I have to lose? I thought I’d give it a go and learn something along the way. That was almost three years ago now. Starting this business felt very similar to starting Her Campus actually! P.S. My mom is doing just fine now that she’s not working and can focus on her health and wellness:)  

HC: Do you still write in your career now?

DF: Not much right now but I will return! I do write but it’s mostly personal journaling. I have vowed to write a book in the next 10 years that will specifically focus on helping women with their personal finances. And there, now it’s in writing so you can hold me to it! It does require effective communicating with others though. And listening. I think being descent at those two things is what got me through the first year in the business. Sounds simple but many people struggle with both. My experience with Her Campus Pitt helped develop those skills too.

HC: What are you most excited about seeing/doing on your return visit to Pitt?

DF: Hems, of course! There are no $5 pitchers in DC! But really, just feeling all the feels and memories that come with Oakland: The smell of the “O,” the sight of the Cathedral at night, students flooding the sidewalks laughing. Those were the best years in so many ways and being on campus just brings it all back.

HC: What would you like to see come out of Her Campus Pitt in the future? 

DF: An Alumni Network! I’m probably one of the very oldest alumni out here right now but as time goes on, we will grow a strong, successful network of Her Campus Pitt alumni and we should each use that to support each other before and after graduation! As far as Her Campus Pitt goes, my expectations have already been exceeded! Just keep running with your own ideas. It can be done, clearly, and isn’t it fun to prove that? Keep going!

HC: What advise would you give to young writers in the chapter now? 

DF: Get way outside of your comfort zone. Write about what matters to you and take some risks! Your breakthroughs will come when you aren’t in autopilot mode but are engaged and curious and confused and excited! Start practicing being OK with being uncomfortable and taking risks as this will help you over and over again in life, whether you become a writer for a living or not. So start now! Go. Do something that makes you feel awkward and write about it:)

HC: And the real question…Were you an Antoon’s or Sorrento’s gal? 

DF: Antoons. All day, every day. First stop I’m making upon my arrival!

Photo credits: Subject’s own

Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing.