This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We’ve all been to Market. We’ve all enjoyed Market’s wide variety of food choices: from chicken and rice, to stir-fry, to the new soft-serve ice cream. But have you ever sat down in the middle section, between the pasta/pizza station and stir-fry station—the section with all the TVs—and focused your attention to the music featured on said televisions?

The University of Pittsburgh uses Campus Nation Network for music and advertising. If you look at most televisions in campus buildings, you will probably be watching Campus Nation. Pitt isn’t the only college campus around the nation who uses the advertising service. Check out their website for more information!

Anyway, I decided to focus my attention to the TVs in Market on a Monday afternoon. My goal was to take note on the type of music they played. Here are the results:

1) “Paper Airplane” – Alison Krauss & Union Station

Genre: Bluegrass

Album: Paper Airplane

Year: 2011

2) “Young and Beautiful” – Lana Del Rey

Genre: Alternative Rock

Album: The Great Gatsby: Music from Baz Luhrmann’s Film

Year: 2013 

3) “Never Stop” – Kennedy Nöel

Genre: Alternative Rock

Album: Never Stop

Year: 2013

Fun Fact: Featured on Campus Nation as “Reverbnation Music Spotlight” 

4) “Surrender” – Angels & Airwaves

Genre: Alternative Rock

Album: Love: Part Two

Year: 2011 

5) “Get Up (Rattle)” – Bingo Players feat. Far East Movement

Genre: Hip hop

Album: Dirty Bass

Year: 2012 

6) “If So” – Atlas Genius

Genre: Alternative Rock

Album: When It Was Now

Year: 2013 

7) “Change” – Churchill

Genre: Alternative Rock

Album: Change EP

Year: 2012 

8) “I’m on a Roll” – Stefano feat. New Boyz & Rock Mafia

Genre: Dance pop

Album: I’m on a Roll

Year: 2012

9) “City of Sin” – Alex Kunnari & Heikki L feat. Joel Madden

Genre: Dance pop

Album: City of Sin

Year: 2013 

10) “The Lucky Ones” – Kerli

Genre: Dance pop

Album: Utopia

Year: 2012 

Next time you go to Market or sit by Quick Zone in Towers, keep an eye on the music videos featured on the televisions. Who knows, you might find your next favorite song or artist; all thanks to the random playlists on Campus Nation.

Photo Credit

Fredrika is a 2015 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. While at Pitt, she acted as writer, Assistant Senior Editor, and Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and the Her Campus Pittsburgh chapter. She originally hails from Stockholm, Sweden, but has lived in the Northern Virginia area for eighteen years. Follow Fredrika on her personal Twitter, @FredrikaUS!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt