lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It doesn’t matter if it’s with a friend, family member, or significant other, long distance relationships are never easy. However, they aren’t always a death sentence. This isn’t to say all long distance relationships will work; to survive, you have to be honest with yourself and your partner. With a lot of patience, trust, and honesty, your relationship will be able to withstand the miles between you.

*This is only based on my personal experience with long distance. Every relationship will be different.*

Schedule Time to Talk

If there are different time zones involved, texting might not be enough to feel connected, as your hours available to talk are limited. The days will start to move quickly, so it’s important to set time aside you’re both available to talk for as long as needed. Nothing will be worse than being in the middle of a story only for your time to be cut short.

In hindsight, weekly phone calls seem like a piece of cake, but life will quickly pass by and before you know it, it’s a few days without much communication. Set a reminder on your phone or even calendar invite your dates. Having a set time to talk on the phone or Skype will give you both something to look forward to.

Communication & Trust are Key

A huge mistake would be to bottle up your feelings in an effort to not hurt your loved one; not only will this eventually blow up, but it’ll make things worse than they would have been. For example, if you feel like your weekly dates aren’t enough, say something or else you’ll be left with no phone call and tears. Another thing to remember is you cannot show your love with touch or your presence, so communicating this love and appreciation is especially important.

It almost goes without saying, but you need to trust your partner for things to work out. If you’re constantly worried about what they’re doing, missed calls or unanswered texts will drive you crazy.

Be Flexible

While it’s important to stick to your dates, it’s even more important to remember that things happen. If something comes up, be sure to communicate & reschedule. Canceling last minute will create tension and heartache.

If possible, schedule time to see each other in person. Whether it’s for a few days or a week, any time spent in person together will give you a chance to say things that don’t need words. Most of all, it’s okay to be upset. Some days will be really tough, especially after something exciting happens or upsetting; all you’ll want to do is hug your loved one tight. In these times, it’s important to talk to your s.o and acknowledge this pain but to be sure to not dwell on it. Use the time away to grow as individual people, and once you are reunited, your relationship will be stronger than ever.

Image Credit: 1

Ciao! I'm Ashleigh, a marketing major & Italian minor super-senior. I love CHAARG, HC, memes, watching gossip girl & cooking shows, and eating pizza.  
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt