In the know: “Safety Not Guaranteed”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Among the many hidden treasures on Netflix is the indie film Safety Not Guaranteed directed by Colin Trevorrow and written by Derek Connolly. This award winning film has a refreshing, honest, and quirky narrative that will take your mind on a wild ride.

We follow the story of young, cynical Darius Britt (Audrey Plaza) as she interns at Seattle Magazine. She and another intern, studious Arnau (Karan Soni) are picked to help haughty journalist Jeff Schwensen (Jake Johnson) on a story that is quite unusual. They are on a mission to investigate the story behind an ad put in the paper reading:

Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 91 Ocean View, WA 99393. You’ll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

With the approval of their boss, the writers travel to the Seaside of Seattle to find out the real deal about this ad. Much to their surprise, they find grocery clerk but scientist by trade Kenneth (Mark Duplass), who believes he has traveled through time. To get a closer look, Jeff sends in Darius to be Kenneth’s partner. 

Throughout the film we watch Darius attempt to prove she is capable of being his partner for his time travel experience.  We take a whirlwind ride with Kenneth and Darius and get insight as to what they hope to find if they break the laws of science and travel through time. Despite the grandiose idea, the viewer sees Kenneth’s passion and drive, which can relate to anyone who has ever desperately wanted a dream to happen. Will Darius and Kenneth travel through space and time? Will Kenneth prove all his doubters wrong?

This film has components of science fiction, drama, and the rawness of human nature. Trevorrow and Connolly put together a piece that draws in the audience by making us feel what the characters feel.  The connection between Parks and Recreation actress Audrey Plaza and director, producer, and actor Mark Duplass has such an honest and beautiful chemistry. 

Safety Not Guaranteed is a great film for the visionaries out there and for those who just want to watch a super cool indie film.  Sundance Film Festival awarded Safety Not Guaranteed the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award, and the Phoenix Film Critics Society awarded the film The Overlooked Film of the Year. Sometimes the best movies are the ones that are that hidden. Now that you know about it, check it out! You will not regret it! 

Sources: 1 2

Photo Credit

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt