Jenna Monocello ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If I could think of a person who could get along with anyone, smiles all the time, is an all around amazing human, and gives back more than she gets, Jenna Monocello comes to mind. She’s incredibly intelligent (but not in a way that’s obnoxious), beautiful (but completely unaware of it), and as down-to-earth as a person can get. She recently finished her term as President of the service sorority Gamma Sigma Sigma, is a second semester senior, AND already has a job for after graduation! Yeah, we’re jealous too! This 21 (soon to be 22!!) year old rockstar is the definition of The Girl Next Door. Every boy wants to date her (but they can’t! shout out to my boy Kev!), and every girl wants to be friends with her. I remember the first time I ever really got to know Jenna. I realized that night that although she has that whole “Girl Next Door” thing going on, she was a total weirdo. And I loved it! She laughs easily and comfortably at herself, makes it so easy for new people to feel comfortable around her , and will try new things even if it scares her a little at first. In other words, Jenna is one of the sweetest, most endearing, and giving people you’ll ever know,  and this week’s Campus Cutie!

Jenna Monocello

Hometown: Erie, PA

Major: Marketing

Year: Senior

Relationship Status: Sorry fellas, she’s taken!

HC: How did you end up at Pitt?

JM: I wasn’t going to come here honestly. But, then I came on the tour, and I loved hearing about the big school events and everything. I absolutely loved the campus! Plus, my mom threw away any idea of going more than 2 hours away!

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

JM:  I’ll be 31, so I see myself married with a family, and I hope I’m travelling! I want to be living a really cool, fun, young life in Pittsburgh and being active. Doing everything that Pittsburgh has to offer: hiking, kayaking, and all that! 

HC: We know that you’re in a relationship with one of our past Campus Celebs, Kevin Kerr. Tell us about what first attracted you to him?

JM: He’s so weird haha! He’s super funny and makes me laugh. He’s definitely one of the most intelligent people I know, and he treats me better than I could ever imagined being treated as someone’s girlfriend. We knew each other since freshman year of high school and I actually hated him then! But when we got to Pitt we got to know each other better and my opinion of him changed a lot!

HC: Hahahaha! He can’t be that strange! But., we’ll take your word for it! What is your idea of a perfect date?

JM: I really would love to go on a sky diving date… and then land on a picnic of chocolate covered strawberries! hahahaha

HC: What have you learned since being in several long-term relationships?

JM: I think that after you’re in one, it’s easier to get into the next because you know what you want/don’t want. I’ve learned that my first boyfriend sucked haha. Definitely with Kevin, he made me better, more patient and easy-going. I have more fun in life with Kevin.

HC: What’s your favorite Pitt memory?

JM: This is embarrassing but the time that a friend wrapped one of those stretchy book covers around my head at a Pitt football game…at the same time ESPN decided to get me on camera. Not only that, but then Kevin made it his profile picture. It is THE most ridiculous picture, but still my favorite memory haha!

HC: What qualities do you seek in a significant other? 

I don’t know if this is a quality, but someone who has a good relationship with both of our families, someone who is very open-minded and willing to try new things. And of course, a sense of humor. 

HC: If you could live anywhere, where would that be?

Italy. I love it there! The food is amazing, I still have dreams about it! The sites are amazing, especially the non-touristy spots. They’re incredible. The language is so pretty and I wish I could speak it!

HC: Who’s your celebrity crush?

JM: Boy or Girl?

HC: Boy first haha

JM: Liam Hemsworth, because he has the prettiest eyes! And, he’s so good looking.

HC: Ok, girl crush?

JM: Lauren Conrad. I love her. She’s so perfect. She is fashionale and she has pretty hair and she’s so classy! And, I like her clothing line. It’s so cool that she has her own line at such a young age.

HC: Okay, random question! What’s your spirit animal?

JM: I’ve often wondered that. I think I’m a chimpanzee! I think it’d be so fun to run around naked, and eat bananas! Hahahahaha And, plus they’re so cuddly, and I love cuddling. 

I'm a current Junior at the University of Pittsburgh, majoring in Political Science and minoring in Spanish language! I was born and raised in Philadelphia and I am a huge city kid! I'm very open about most things in my life; Sex, drinking, partying, friendships, etc. (you name it). I'm a firm believer of loving and knowing yourself before allowing others to make those decisions for you. If you don't love yourself or know who you are, then others never will!