James Robinson: Star Athlete, Chipotle Addict, and Animal Lover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

You have probably seen our celeb around campus, but if you follow Pitt Basketball, you have most definitely seen him on the court. Meet our campus celeb and starting point guard for the Pitt Panthers James Robinson! Although he can be seen playing basketball with his team at a sold out Peterson Events Center or on ESPN, our celeb strikes an even balance between basketball stardom and college living. The sophomore from Mitchellville, MD is currently studying Communications in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences. When he’s not studying for exams, he leads the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) for his 3.78 assist: turnover ratio and ranks No.2 nationally. J-Rob is also the first player in Pitt basketball history to earn two international gold medals. He helped to lead USA Under-19 team to a gold medal at the FIBA World Championships in Prague, Czech Republic last summer and won a gold medal with USA at the FIBA Americas Championships in June, 2012. Her Campus sat down with the athlete to discuss basketball, college life, and few of his favorite things.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite thing about playing basketball at Pitt?

James Robinson: My favorite thing about playing basketball at Pitt is having the opportunity to compete against some of the best teams and learn under one of the best coaching staffs in the country.

HC: What has been your best basketball memory?

James: My best college basketball memory so far was witnessing how hyped the Oakland Zoo got when we beat Syracuse at home (In this game, J-Rob played against close friend, former classmate and teammate, Jerami Grant).

HC: How long have you been playing? And what did you do to take your game to the next level?

James: I have been playing basketball since the age of three. I am continuing to take my game to the next level by trying to get better at each aspect of the game on a daily basis.

HC: What is the most challenging thing for you to do in your sport?

James: In basketball, the most challenging thing for me is traveling during the school year and making sure I keep up with my schoolwork.

HC: Besides basketball, what else are you good at or passionate about?

James: Other than basketball, I am passionate about spending time with my family and friends and enjoying their company.

HC: Who is the most influential person in your life?

James: The most influential people in my life are my mother and father. They constantly push me to work hard and to never be satisfied.

HC: What are your ultimate career goals?

James: My ultimate career goals are to play basketball as long as I can before becoming a sports analyst broadcaster.

HC: How would you describe yourself in 5 words?

James: I would say that I am laid-back, personable, caring, helpful, and quiet.

HC: What is something that most people don’t know about you?

James: Most people don’t know how much I like to watch Animal Planet.

HC: Really? What’s your favorite show?

James: I like all the shows really, but I especially like to watch Shark Week. Also the specials about lions- that’s my favorite animal.

Little-Known Facts about J-Rob:

Favorite place to eat on campus:

Chipotle

Favorite song right now:

Can’t Stop the Grind– KCamp

Favorite TV show or movie:

Captain Phillips

Favorite athlete:

Deron Williams

Favorite thing to do when you don’t have a game or practice:

Just relax at my house or hangout with my teammates.

Who knew our celeb was an animal lover as well? Make sure you follow James on Twitter!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

Information Source

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt