This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The semester is officially in full swing and it’s a fact that not everyone’s idea of fun is reading even more than they already have to for class. However, in the spirit of National Read a Book Day this month, consider picking up a book just for the fun of it. Reading can be seen as boring to many, and some might even claim to dislike it. I would advise those people to look harder for that special book because there truly is one for everyone. Do you like Game of Thrones? There are so many fantasy books you would undoubtedly enjoy. Do you like rom-coms? There is a fountain of them overflowing at your local library or bookstore. Books teach us endless important lessons about life and they remind us to have bravery, empathy, kindness…and also to occasionally sprinkle a little magic where magic is due. A professor once told me that every book we have read since we were children has shaped us in some way. So, reflect on all the ways books have shaped you and find a new one to love and enjoy! Many of you have already explored Hogwarts, Westeros, Middle-earth, Narnia and/or Panem. Where else can you explore? So many different worlds and characters await.

If you’re stuck on what to read, here are some of Her Campus Pitt’s all-time favorite books.

“My favorite book is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. The book is INCREDIBLE—I highly recommend it to anyone that loves thrillers/crime fiction! I loved it because the book had a great interweaving plot line that all came together at the end but managed to keep me on my toes throughout the entire story!” –Katherine L.

“My favorite book is The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I first read the book when I was 10, and I fell in love with the incredible world building. I loved that the author was first and foremost writing the story as a means to entertain himself. You could feel the passion and voice in every word, and it has since become a book I read when I’m feeling down or upset for any reason. The meanings of the book transcend the original religious context to become a staple in anyone’s library.” –Sarah J.

“My favorite book is The Fault in Our Stars. I love how the story of Hazel and Augustus represents a real-life relationship. Their relationship shows how when someone loves you, they are willing to put their struggles aside to keep you happy.” –Holly R.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood is by far my favorite. I enjoy reading dystopian fiction, and this novel didn’t disappoint. You follow Offred’s journey of attempting to escape the bounds of the totalitarian society, and her determination to do so is pretty inspiring. It’s a real page-turner!” –Erin L.

“My favorite book is The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. The history of colonization in Africa is something that’s not talked about enough and this book is beautifully written. All of the characters have such depth, and Africa is brought to life through the author’s writing! There is so much meaning in this book and I could read it over and over and still learn something new every time!” –Olivia A.

“My favorite book is Le Petit Prince. I first read it for my high school French class and it is great for kids and adults. It’s heavy on the metaphors which I don’t typically like, but since it was French, I guess it was trying to be hipster in 1943. Overall, it’s a cute, short, simple book.” –Corrine K,

It’s difficult for me to name one favorite as I simply love too many, so I will leave you with a vehemently strong recommendation of a book I recently adored to pieces: Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. This book follows the first son of the United States as he falls in love with the Prince of Wales, and it is truly the rom-com this world needs right now. You will laugh, you will cry and your heart might just explode from all the cuteness and achingly beautiful prose.

You were warned.

Happy reading!

Photo credit: 1

Anne is in the class of 2020 at Pitt and is majoring in English Literature with a minor in German and Creative Writing. She loves to read, watch movies/TV, and make every situation as awkward as possible. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt