books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Important Lessons from Iconic Fictional Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

There’s a quote from one of my favorite books by Cassandra Clare that states, “Sometimes, when I have to do something I don’t want to do, I pretend I’m a character from a book. It’s easier to know what they would do.” I think about this a lot, and I keep the idea close to my heart. All of us have met countless characters throughout our lives, and several of them have even been with us ever since childhood. We might not realize it, but these characters have shaped us in ways that we probably can’t even fully comprehend. With so many hours spent watching TV, movies and so many hours spent reading, it would be almost impossible for them not to.

So, the next time you’re in a rut, confused about life or lost in a situation, try thinking of what your favorite character would do. Here are some (emphasis on some) of my personal favorite strong fictional women and important lessons they have left me with.

Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables reminds me to never put my imagination to waste.

Photo by Sullivan Entertainment via IMDB

Miriam “Midge” Maisel from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel reminds me to not back down while fighting for what I want, even if others might judge me for it, never take the easy way out, know my worth and never lesser myself at the expense of someone else

Photo by Amazon via Indie Wire

Lara Jean Covey from To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before reminds me how important it is to do things that might seem scary. It’ll be worth it, in the end.

Photo by Netflix via Riveted

Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice reminds me to stand up for myself, even to those who might appear to have more power than me—they never do.  

Photo by Paramount Pictures via Pinterest

Beth Pearson from This is Us reminds me to be resilient and patient.

Photo by NBC via Hollywood Reporter

Donna Sheridan from Mamma Mia! shows me how important it is to be independent… and how at any time I can fly away to Greece and start a new life, if I so choose. Things will work out somehow, won’t they?

Photo by Universal Pictures via Twitter

Hermione Granger from Harry Potter reminds me to be brave, study hard and always be analatycial with my thinking—also, to not hesitate commanding a group of clueless people.  

Photo by Warner Bros. via Pinterest

Villanelle from Killing Eve inspires me to have more fashion sense and reminds me to treat myself every once in a while.

Photo by BBC via iNews

Akeelah from Akeelah and the Bee taught me that when I work hard at something I love and don’t give up when things get tough, I can achieve the unthinkable.

Photo by Lionsgate via movieberry

Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada reminds me to be ruthless and the very best I can be.

Photo by 20th Century Fox via Livingly

Rey from Star Wars reminds me to look for the best in everyone and every situation and to have hope, even when things might look grim. 

Photo by Lucasfilm via Popsugar

Fleabag from Fleabag shows me how it’s okay to be a complete mess sometimes and not have everything figured out. That’s just a part of life.

Photo by Amazon via Indiewire

Éowyn from The Lord of the Rings reminds how powerful it is to be a woman.

Gif by New Line Cinema via Tenor

Tahani Al-Jamil from The Good Place reminds me to not constantly compare myself to others and be proud of my achievements.

Photo by NBC via Vulture

Karen Duvall from Unbelievable reminds me to be empathetic, have an open mind and keep calm during stressful times.

Photo by Netflix via Refinery29

As a creative writing student, Jo March from Little Women inspires me to search for stories in my everyday life and have a sense of humor at all times.

Photo by Unknown via Pinterest

Amy Santiago from Brooklyn Nine-Nine reminds me to be competitive and never settle.

Photo by NBC via Geek Girl Authority

Moira Rose from Schitt’s Creek reminds me that it’s okay to be a little dramatic sometimes.

Photo by Pop via Vulture

Bonnie from Big Little Lies reminds me to be inquisitive and to follow my instinct.

Photo by HBO via Bustle

Eleven from Stranger Things reminds me to have an open mind and look out for those I love and care about, no matter what dangers might stand in my way…and also to eat more waffles.

Photo by Netflix via Teen Vogue

Anne is in the class of 2020 at Pitt and is majoring in English Literature with a minor in German and Creative Writing. She loves to read, watch movies/TV, and make every situation as awkward as possible. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt