IF YOU LOVE LIZZY MCALPINE…You Need to Check Out These 10 Artists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you mention Lizzy McAlpine anywhere within my vicinity, it’s likely that my head will whip around and a giant smile will break out on my face. While I will not claim to be Lizzy’s biggest fan (okay maybe I will), she is one of my most favorite artists in the entire world. My recent texts with one of my friends (shoutout Ellie!) involve lots of frantic messages and capital letters about Lizzy’s soft launch of her new boyfriend and her hard launch of him in the “Ceilings” music video. So, basically it’s safe to say that I love Lizzy McAlpine. 

I first discovered Lizzy in 2020 with the song “Apple Pie” off of her album Give Me a Minute and I’ve been hooked ever since. I even got to see her sing “Ceilings” live before it was released when she was the opener on Dodie’s tour (never shutting up about that). So, while I will continue to stake my claim that I loved Lizzy well before she absolutely blew up, I know that a lot of people have discovered her because of “Ceilings” and her newest album Five Seconds Flat. So, if you’re a new fan of Lizzy, or even if you’re an old one and just looking for some new music, here’s the 10 best artists to listen to next. 

MAGGIE ROGERS

Maggie Rogers is a literal goddess, and you can’t convince me otherwise. Her and Lizzy are incredibly similar–from their mix of heartbreaking songs to ethereal vocals, they both are music to your ears. If you love Lizzy I can basically 100% guarantee you’ll love Maggie, that’s just all there is to it. Manifesting a Lizzy and Maggie collab in the future – if this happens, I will combust. 

Songs To Listen To:

• “Alaska”
  • “That’s Where I Am”
  • “Back in My Body”
  • “I’ve Got a Friend”

ADAM MELCHOR

Best known for his soft vocals and acoustic sounding songs, Adam Melchor is perfect for fans of Lizzy’s slower, softer, introspective songs such as “All My Ghosts,” “Nothing/Sad N Stuff,” and “To the Mountains.” Also, he has an incredible fashion sense, just saying. 

Songs to Listen To:

• “Real Estate”
  • “Begin Again”
  • “Joyride”
  • “The Archer”

CLAIRO

Clairo and Lizzy are perfect complements to each other; their vibes, their aesthetics, literally everything just compliments each other so well. Clairo has a wide mix of songs in different genres – similar to Lizzy– that always makes her an excellent choice to listen to. 

Songs to Listen To:

• “Bags”
  • “Pretty Girl”
  • “Alewife”
  • “Amoeba”

BOYGENIUS (AND ALL OF ITS MEMBERS)

Boygenius is an indie rock group made up of indie it girls –Lucy Dacus, Phoebe Bridgers and Julien Baker. Their music is absolutely devastating, but a perfect mix of rock, mixed vocals and literally everything you could ever ask for. And I would be remiss if I didn’t also recommend that you listen to each of their individual works, each member is incredible, and brings something unique to the table. Phoebe’s music carries an air of sadness and nostalgia, Lucy’s often mixes sad lyrics with insane instrumentals and her signature belt and Julien fits most solidly into the indie rock genre. Boygenius itself, and each member, truly offer something unique that fans of Lizzy’s are already clearly drawn to. 

Boygenius Songs to Listen To:

• “Salt in the Wound”
  • “Me and My Dog”
  • “$20”
  • “True Blue”

Phoebe Bridgers Songs to Listen To:

• “Garden Song”
  • “Scott Street”
  • “I Know the End”
  • “Georgia”

Lucy Dacus Songs to Listen To:

• “Brando”
  • “I Don’t Wanna be Funny Anymore”
  • “VBS”
  • “Night Shift”

Julien Baker Songs to Listen To:

• “Song in E”
  • “Turn Out the Lights”
  • “Hardline”
  • “Favor”

BRISTON MARONEY

If you love Five Seconds Flat you’ll love Briston Maroney. With his incredible indie/alt music, astounding voice and amazing lyrics, he truly is one of the best artists currently making music. 

Songs to Listen To:

• “Caroline”
  • “Bottlerocket”
  • “Small Talk”
  • “June”

The Regrettes

One of my more recent discoveries, this indie/alt band is guaranteed to have songs that will have you dancing. Their energy is infectious, and their music a delight to the ears. I seriously cannot recommend them enough, and side note, their lead singer Lydia Night and Lizzy McAlpine have incredibly similar vibes (and awesome tattoo placement).

Songs to Listen To:

• “Has it Hit You?”
  • “Pumpkin”
  • “That’s What Makes Me Love You”
  • “California Friends”

Peter McPoland

The way the bridge in “Ceilings” makes me feel is basically the way all of Peter McPoland’s music makes me feel. Enough said.

Songs To Listen To:

• “Come Around”
  • “Romeo + Juliet”
  • “News at 9”
  • “(Here’s to the) Prom Queen”

Gracie Abrams

You probably saw this one coming, but if you love Lizzy and you’re not already listening to Gracie Abrams you’re missing out. One of my fave nepo babies (her dad is JJ Abrams!) Gracie is another young female artist full of sad girl indie vibes. And as a bonus, she just released a new album!

Songs to Listen To:

• “I Should Hate You”
  • “Rockland”
  • “Augusta”
  • “Under/Over”

Noah Kahan

If you’re looking for more music that you can scream in the car while feeling absolutely devastated, Noah Kahan is where it’s at. This New England musician, with his insane vocals, horrifically devastating lyrics (in the best possible way) and no skip discography is  a must listen.

Songs To Listen To:

• “Maine”
  • “Orange Juice”
  • “All My Love”
  • “Glue Myself Shut”

Maisie Peters

This fiery pop artist is absolutely amazing. Her music is often more pop centered than Lizzy’s, but the vibes are there don’t worry–you’ll love her I promise. 

Songs To Listen To:

• “Favorite Ex”
  • “Place We Were Made”
  • “Cate’s Brother”
  • “Maybe Don’t”

Honorable Mentions

Well, that’s all the artist suggestions I have, but as a bonus treat (and simply because I can’t resist) here’s some additional song suggestions. 

• “Presumably Dead Arm” by Sidney Gish
  • “Terrestrial Man” by Jack Van Cleaf
  • “Angel” by Trudy and the Romance
  • “I Hope It’s You” by Rusty Clanton
  • “Lamplight” by Del Water Gap

You can find the playlist with all these suggested songs on Spotify and Apple Music. Happy listening, I hope you find a new artist to love! 

Lauren Deaton is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, she is currently serving both as Chapter Chair and Writer. She most frequently writes about entertainment topics– including music recommendations, topics of representation, and anticipated movie lists. Lauren is double majoring in English Literature and Media and Professional Communications with a focus on Public and Professional Writing. She is also pursuing a Film and Media Studies minor and is a member of the Honors College. She recently completed a communications internship with the Fletcher Free Library and will be beginning a research position with the Language and Literacy Division at Pitt during the Fall 2023 semester. In the future, she hopes to work in publishing helping to increase access to representation. She is also a writer for Studio 412 a creative outlet on Pitt’s campus and is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority. Lauren loves her dog, her friends, her family, and everything reading, coming of age and cold brew related.