yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

I Tried Starbucks & Dunkin’s New Pumpkin Drinks So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Ah, fall — the time of year when we enjoy the leaves changing colors, sweater-weather, football games and most importantly, pumpkin-flavored everything. From pumpkin bread to pumpkin pie, the spicy and cinnamon-y flavor popping up in stores everywhere is a true sign that autumn is upon us. And if you’re anything like me, you know that this is the time of year that coffee chains like Starbucks and Dunkin’ pull out all the stops.

Starbucks’ classic Pumpkin Spice Latte (or PSL for short) has been around for over 15 years, so they decided to switch it up this year by introducing the brand new Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew. Dunkin’ responded by coming out with a new drink with a less catchy name – the Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte. With both stores releasing their autumn drinks in August, it’s no wonder iced coffees are the move this year!

So, which drink is better? I decided to try both so you don’t have to.

To start, I stopped by Starbucks to pick up the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew; a tall costs $3.75 before tax. The cinnamon-sprinkled cream sits on top of the coffee, so you have to stir it in to get the full effect. I had high hopes for this drink and let me tell you, it did not disappoint. The cream was subtle, but definitely pumpkin-y and tasted amazing with the cold brew. The coffee itself was super rich and smooth, so I’m glad it wasn’t overpowered by the fall spices on top. Overall, the hype around this drink is true, and I can’t wait to waste all my money on it in the coming months.

Next, I went to Dunkin’ ready to indulge in another sweet, pumpkin-flavored coffee. A small Iced Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte cost $3.29 before tax. I was surprised to see that the iced latte was topped with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar. I was even more surprised when I took my first sip and was hit with a super sugary, chai flavor. Dunkin’s latte didn’t taste like coffee at all, which some people like, but I personally do not. While the taste was nice and reminiscent of fall, I thought it was way too sweet.

To sum up, I think Starbucks has won the title of best iced pumpkin drink this year. And if you’re looking to fulfill your pumpkin craving in more ways than one, they also just released a whole line of products. The fall bundle, available on Amazon, includes their fall blend coffee grounds, pumpkin spice grounds and pumpkin spice cookie straws – yum!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Madelyn is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh double majoring Psychology and Communications with a certificate in Corporate/Community Relations. Outside of writing and editing for Her Campus Pitt, she is also a member of CHAARG and Gamma Sigma Sigma. In her free time she enjoys watching horror movies, making Spotify playlists, exploring Pittsburgh, getting coffee and working out.
Erin is the President of HC Pitt. She is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Besides Her Campus, she is also involved in Pitt American Society of Civil Engineers. When Erin isn't studying, you can find her dancing, binging New Girl, jamming out to John Mayer or exploring the Burgh!