This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Now that summer is quickly approaching and the days are warmer, the demand for shaving has come back in full force. Shorts and dresses reveal legs that have been shielded from the cold since November and tank-tops leave our armpits exposed. Most ladies are starting to stock up on shaving cream and razor heads, making sure their legs are smooth and underarms are spotless. But why do we do this? Why do we have to spend extra money and time removing hair that is perfectly harmless and natural?

Now, I know how nice it is to feel your smooth skin after a shave and see those clean legs in the mirror after you put on a banging dress. I know that many people are going to see this and argue that they shave to feel more feminine and confident. And let me clarify: I think that’s great! To me, it’s kind of like putting on makeup: some people put it on so they can feel attractive and confident about how they look while others don’t have that same urge. So, if you like shaving and want to keep doing it, by all means, go for it girl.

I have blonde hair, so from afar, you can hardly tell whether I have shaved or not. What I have a problem with is the fact that as a woman, I feel like I HAVE to shave. That now that it’s warm and I put on a pair of shorts or a dress, I feel nervous about having hair on my legs. Why must I feel ashamed for something that is natural and harmless? 

As a person, I don’t usually put a lot of time or effort into “beautification.” I have very sensitive skin, so if I try to wear makeup, I will often just end up breaking out and then needing MORE makeup to cover up the blemishes. I prefer to go with my own natural look in my day-to-day and to only put on makeup for special occasions. I may not have the most defined eyebrows or beautiful dark lashes, but I have healthy skin and eyes that don’t itch all day. This approach works well for me and I’m happy with it. People respect my choice to stay natural and understand my reasoning behind it. But with shaving, it’s a whole different story.

I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve heard girls saying how they haven’t shaved in two days and that they feel “gross.” I then look down at my own legs and wonder, “If two days without shaving is gross, what am I?” As I said before, I have very sensitive skin. I used to shave regularly and had a major problem with razor burn and ingrown hairs that made it so my legs and arms were always irritated and itchy, even after buying product after product to try and remedy the problem.

It finally got to the point where I decided that my comfort was more important than our society’s beauty requirements. If men don’t have to shave their legs or underarms, why should I have to? I used to feel ashamed of my choice not to shave, but I recently realized that there is no reason to be! Having hair on my legs means I’m a healthy young woman and it’s perfectly natural.

So, if you ever feel ashamed for making choices that go against the norm, don’t. As long as you are making choices that make you the healthiest and happiest you can possibly be, you’re doing nothing wrong. And if you see someone who is clearly not adhering to our society’s beauty standards, don’t make fun of her. What’s the right choice for one person may not be the right choice for someone else. Us girls have to stick together and support each other! What better way to do that than to accept beauty in all its forms, even if it’s a little hairier than you might be used to.

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt