How to Know When You’re Doing Too Much

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Do you ever find yourself overwhelmed and extremely stressed and physically and mentally burnt out? You’ve taken on too many tasks that you thought would either be beneficial to you or helpful for others, but now they are just constantly consuming you. You’re probably a people pleaser and have trouble saying no. If this sounds like you, then you are probably doing too much. I know all this, because it’s me too! I find myself doing too much far too often. To help prevent you and others from doing too much, I am going to share how to tell if you’re doing too much, how to prevent yourself from doing too much and what to do when you are doing too much.

How to know when you’re doing too much
  • You have no motivation left to complete anything.
  • You find yourself planning your day, but don’t have enough time in the day to get everything on your list complete.
  • You feel like you’re failing at everything you do because you do not have the time to put in your best effort.
  • You’re constantly irritable, stressed and overwhelmed.
  • You stop doing things you actually enjoy to complete tasks that you do not want to do, but feel like you have to get them done.
how to prevent yourself from doing too much
  • Don’t take on tasks someone offers just because you feel bad saying no.
  • Before taking on a new tasks, evaluate what you already have on your plate and determine if you have room for other tasks while still having time to do things you enjoy.
  • Set strict boundaries with yourself and others. Clearly communicate your schedule with others so they know when it is your working hours and work free hours.
What to do if you are doing too much
  •  Do not be afraid to asks for help. Is there anyone who can help you complete your tasks or make your tasks easier for you?
  • Reevaluate everything you are doing and eliminate anything that does not benefit you. Doing things for others is always great, but you need to be able to set boundaries from helping others and doing too much for others.
  • Take a day off to relax and forget about everything for a little bit. While this is not always realistic for everyone, try to find time, even if its just for a few hours at the end of the day, to reward or pamper yourself without worrying about your work.
  • Start scheduling breaks in your day. Take a real 30 minutes away from work for lunch. Take 15 minutes to read or talk with a friend. Try not to spend an entire day only doing work without taking a break.
  • Talk with a therapist or someone you trust. It can be difficult to break the patterns of a workaholic, so talking about it with someone may help.
Lexie is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh. She is majoring in media & professional comm. and has a strong interest in digital marketing. In her free time, Lexie is either at the gym, playing with her pup, or relaxing watching a movie.