This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether you have celiac or a plain old gluten allergy like me, you probably dread this time of year. Especially if you haven’t been gluten-free for your whole life- it’s even harder! You can’t eat what you used to eat, you have to explain to your family members why you’re not eating any stuffing and you’re faced with the challenge of figuring out new alternatives to fill the dinner roll-shaped hole in your heart.

So, I’ve compiled a list of tips and tricks that I’ve learned myself and from other gluten-free gurus!

Photo by SJ Baren via Unsplash

Gluten-free turkey

Gluten-free stuffing is your best friend over the holidays! You can choose to make your own with gluten-free bread, or you can get the already-mixed one from the store! Either way, this should be the only way that you eat the turkey on the table. Even if you’re eating a part of the turkey that the stuffing didn’t touch, there’s still tons of possibilities for cross-contamination. If your family or friends don’t want the stuffing to be gluten-free, another possibility is vegetables and potatoes. This might give the turkey a slightly different flavor, but it’s a naturally gluten-free option that everyone will enjoy!

Also, make sure you’re careful about the gravy, especially if you weren’t the one to make it! Many gravy recipes include flour as a thickener, which is a big no-no! I would suggest bringing your own gravy, or politely asking the host to get a small jar of gluten-free gravy, if you’re comfortable doing so.

Finally, don’t forget about any spices! Most of the time, they will be gluten-free, but you can never be too careful. From experience, I’ve noticed that many McCormick spices are gluten-free, so they’re definitely safe bets.

Bring your own of everything, or volunteer to host

Most of the time, it’s safe to assume that whoever is hosting won’t be making the entire meal gluten-free. And even if they try, there’s still a great chance of cross-contamination in the kitchen! So, unless the person hosting your dinner is also gluten-free (score!), it might be easier to offer to bring your own food.

Personally, the one part that I just cannot forget is the dinner rolls. Warm dinner rolls are probably one of the main things I miss since developing a gluten allergy, but I’ve been lucky enough to find ones that are great substitutes!

My favorite ones are Ener-G rolls, and I definitely swear by them. I actually came across their dinner rolls while I was on a Disney Cruise, as that’s what they served me with dinner every night. Once they’re warmed up, they taste just like regular bread- they’re almost addictive!

Other things you should consider bringing yourself include gluten-free gravy and gluten-free desserts. It’s definitely not the holidays without either one, and many people won’t have the gluten-free versions of them on hand when you visit.

Another alternative route for your holiday festivities is to just volunteer to host! This would eliminate almost all types of cross-contamination, and you would feel completely safe eating, knowing where each dish came from.

Photo by Unknown via Unsplash

Just substitute gluten-free flour!

I found out I had a gluten allergy right before the 2018 Christmas season, and I was devastated when I learned I wouldn’t be able to eat my favorite Christmas cookies that year. But, thanks to my (amazing) mom, that was far from the truth.

She was able to manipulate many of our family’s different cookie recipes to accommodate my gluten-free lifestyle, and she even made a separate (glutenous) batch for everyone else of those same kinds! At every Christmas party, I had a small plate of only gluten-free cookies. (Pretty sure she’s the best mom ever!)

For baking specifically, almond flour is our family’s go-to! It gives the dessert a little bit more sweetness than rice flour, and it holds the treat together a little better too, so that it doesn’t crumble as easily.

Just don’t be afraid to ask your friends and family for help! No one wants you to starve over the holidays! If you just speak up at the dinner table, or even when you’re out at restaurants with friends, it will definitely help.

If you’re going out for lunch or dinner, definitely do your research beforehand. I use the Find Me Gluten-Free app, and even all my friends and family members have it now too! It’s a true lifesaver and makes you feel so much safer when you eat places! Don’t be afraid to mention your gluten allergy (or celiac) to the waiter or waitress. It’s better to be “a bother” (you’re really not, though) than to end up getting “glutened” over the holidays!

Katie is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh double majoring in Communication and Film and Media, and minoring in French. She loves music & making playlists, cheering on Pittsburgh sports teams, and anything Disney!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt