How to Successfully Get Through a Friend Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Acknowledge what it is. A breakup!

Everyone knows how emotionally draining it can be when going through a breakup with a significant other. What people don’t understand until they go through a friend breakup is that it can be just or even more draining. Ending a relationship brings turmoil no matter what kind of relationship it is. This means after a friend breakup, you are allowed to drink while you cry while watching Netflix and then rebound with Ben & Jerry’s.

Clean Break

After the breakup, a clean break is necessary! Unfollow them or unfriend them on social media; you don’t need to see their lives without you, and they don’t need to see your life without them. If you need even more distance, you can delete posted photos of you together as well. It might be hard, but try to leave all the negativity behind while you try to move forward. Don’t trash talk them because it will only reflect poorly on you. Be the bigger person and I promise, you will be rewarded.

Make New friends

Sometimes it seems hard to believe that new friends are out there. Especially if you break up with a whole friend group! It’s like going on those awkward first dates again. Do you talk to them first? Should you wait for them to make the first move? It seems scary, but new friends are always around the corner: in class, in clubs, at parties, and maybe even at your regular coffee shop. Just be friendly and start a conversation. Those acquaintances are the best place to start. Keep in mind that you never know who is also looking for new potential friends.

Time

Lastly, but most importantly, time heals all. After the break you might feel angry, bitter, depressed and everything in between. This is normal and you are entitled to your emotions. At the moment, it might seem impossible that the intensity of these feeling will fade, but they do with time. The feeling you should hold onto is relief because you got out of a friendship that wasn’t working. Eventually, you will be passing them on the street without a care in the world.

Photo Credit: 1 2 3

University of Pittsburgh Class of 2020 Dual major in Communication and Public & Professional Writing
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt