Style > Beauty

How to Establish a Skin Care Routine – Stay Fresh and Look Your Best!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Skincare is one of the most important steps to have in one’s daily routine; having a skin care routine will help with whatever skin problems you may be concerned about and make you feel more confident and ready to face the day! Here are some simple ways to establish a skin care routine!

1. Start off with cleanser

There are many types of cleaners, all of which target different skin problems. For acne prone skin I would recommend using cleansers with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. For those prone to dry skin, oil-based cleansers are pretty good because they clean your face without stripping it of its natural oils.

2. Follow up with a toner

A toner helps to remove any dirt or oil not removed initally by the cleanser. They also smooth out your skin and help to prepare it for the next steps!

3. It’s always fun to use a serum or facial oils!

This next step is optional but it is a helpful addition to any skin care routine. I personally like to use a few drops of tea tree oil before applying my facial lotion because it helps to target my problem areas. It can be good for additional moisturizing of the skin, brightening, reducing redness, etc.

(Photo by Linda Prebreza via Pexels)

4. Moisturizer is super important!

Moisturizer is A MUST for anyone, regardless of your skin type; adding a moisturizer to one’s routine helps to prevent skin aging and keeps your face from producing excess oil and sebum to make up for the dryness!

5. SPF helps protect against sun damage!

SPF is especially important for those who plan on being outside for an extended period of time. I  know I am guilty of forgetting to apply it when I am in a rush to get to a morning class!

6. Face Masks are super fun and super effective!

It is perfectly fine to use face masks once or twice a week as long as you space it out and if you use a mask that is especially drying, consider using a moisturizing mask or a moisturizing product afterwards.

(Photo by Madison Inouye via Pexels)

7. Additional Tips and Tricks

Don’t forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day, try to cut down on sugar and greasy foods and most importantly found out what works best for you! Everyone’s skin is different so don’t be afraid to keep trying new products until your find a routine that works for you!

Psych major with a passion for traveling and all things self care
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt