This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As COVID-19 continues to spread and affect more and more of our local communities, anxiety and stress seem to be running just as rampant, especially in the minds of college women now forced to work and study from home. I know that I am finding it increasingly difficult to gather my motivation and keep trucking on with my classes, especially now that I am stuck at home with my warm bed just steps away at all times. However, there are several routines and practices which I plan to integrate into each day in order to (hopefully!) make the remainder of the semester a productive one. Hang in there HC community, and I hope these tips help you to make the most of quarantine wherever you are.

photo of an organized closet
Photo by Burgess Milner on Unsplash
Get ready as you typically would for an in-person class.

This is not something that I always enjoy doing, especially with the knowledge that no one but my family will see the effort I put into doing my makeup or picking out a cute outfit. However, I find that the way I feel about my appearance tends to drastically affect my overall motivation for the day. In addition, it is nice to take some time for myself before moving on to readings and activities for class. I suggest doing whatever you would normally do for regular, in-person classes; do you enjoy putting on a full face of makeup? Curling your hair? Going all-natural? Whatever your preference may be, looking and feeling your best will set you up for a positive and productive day.

blank notebook with pencil
Tirachard Kumtanom
Make a to-do list for the day.

There is nothing worse than trying to juggle a brain full of tasks and reminders for a full-time academic schedule and whatever else you may have on your plate. Writing them all out into a simple to-do list does wonders for easing stress and ensuring you of exactly what you need to do *that* day. Plus, it is so satisfying to be able to cross off items as you get one after another done and over with. Once your work day is complete, you can look at your list and see exactly what you accomplished and know that you used your time wisely.

Yasmine Boheas
Yasmine Boheas / Unsplash
Work as far away from your bed as possible.

It is never a good idea to try to get work done in a space that you normally use for relaxation. At the end of the day, it will only make it harder for you to sleep in your bed if you associate it with the exertion required by schoolwork. In addition, getting started with the day’s work while at home is that much harder if you are trying to do it in the same room as your place of rest. Instead, go as far from your bed as possible to find a quiet place you can devote to your work that is as free from distractions as possible.

girl lounging relax 3
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Know when and how long to take breaks.

It is an equally bad idea to try to work yourself all day long without any breaks. I myself am notorious for working until every single bit of work that I could possibly do is done. While potentially effective, this is not a healthy mindset to have. If you normally had a time (or several) set aside for a break from work while at school, continue to take those same times now, whether to eat a snack, talk to a friend or family member or just scroll on social media for a bit. Once you are sufficiently rested, you can get back to work knowing that whatever you do will be of much more quality now that you have taken a break.

two different people\'s arms reach out in front of the St. Louis arch, their pointer finger and middle fingers coming together to make a heart
Jennifer Burk | Unsplash
Remember you aren’t alone in this.

Though quarantine and online classes can feel extremely isolating, we are all in the same boat. The anxiety you may be feeling is shared by college women across the world, and together we can and will get through this confusing and disappointing season. Stay in communication with your friends, stay healthy and stay motivated knowing that this too will pass. You are capable and strong, and able to emerge from this more than ever before.

Hi, I'm Sierra! I'm a third-year senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Poetry Writing and Children's Literature, as well as the Health and Fitness Editor of Her Campus Pitt. In my spare time I love to read, sing, explore the city, and use the Oxford comma.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt