How to Avoid Political Talk This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

With the election results still swirling and tensions running high on many key issues, many of us are not looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner this year. Everyone has that one family member that loves to bring up politics and start a spirited debate. However, this year, the debate doesn’t feel as spirited as it does bitter. We have the following tips to avoid political talk this year:

Wear a Political Graphic Tee

Wear something that is so in everyone’s face with a political opinion that they are afraid to talk to you (I suggest a “Vaginas Against Trump” or “Hillary for Prison” tee). Make it seem like you want to fight – be the craziest relative in the room and people will avoid you.

Find a Potted Plant

Duck and cover, people. Duck and cover.

Spill That Gravy

Wear white to dinner. All white. Then spill various food items on yourself each time the conversation becomes uncomfortable. Soaking 12 wine stains so they don’t set is the perfect excuse to get up from the table.

Meat is Murder

Suddenly declare that meat is murder, dramatically pointing at the turkey. Become completely inconsolable at the blood on your family’s hands from all the meat consumed over two days together. If you have a pet, this is the perfect time to use them as an excuse to leave the room, too. “You wouldn’t eat Fluffy??!! Where is Fluffy?!” *exits room in hysteria*

Author’s note:  While this article was meant to be facetious about the unavoidable political conversations that await us this year, this is going to be a difficult time for some people.  Some real tips for this include:

• Remember you can walk away at any time.
  • Don’t react immediately, but listen to others while taking deep breaths.          
  • Keep a list of positive topic switchers like, “I got an A on my midterm paper that you’d think was interesting,” or “How is your new job?”
  • If you come from a family where you are the odd one out, do not hesitate to say, “I feel ganged up on, can we tone down the debate a notch?”

Good luck and happy Thanksgiving!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Junior Economics and Chinese major at Pitt! I am Fundraising chair for our fantastic Pink Level Chapter that was voted "Most Philanthropic" last year. Since I love volunteering and organizing people to help our Pittsburgh community, getting HC members into fun, innovative ways to build this community is my job. We also have fundraisers for both ourselves and our charity partner She's the First. To find out more about their amazing work check out https://www.shesthefirst.org/Look out for our HC Night Out tickets this October! Inquiries: jmc248@pitt.edu
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt