Holiday Happenings: Awesome Winter Events in the Pittsburgh Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Pittsburgh is always an awesome place to live, but everything about our city feels a little more magical when the holidays come around. Make the cold weather and the stress of finals a little more bearable with some of Pittsburgh’s happiest holiday events!

On-Campus Events

Heinz Chapel Choir

The Heinz Chapel Choir will be giving a free Christmas concert today, Thursday December 1st in Heinz Chapel. The concert starts at 5:15 and will feature tons of holiday favorites! The Choir will also be performing on December 3rd, 4th, 9th, and 11th for a fee, so don’t miss your chance to hear these amazing performances!

Women’s Choral Ensemble

The Women’s Choral Ensemble is giving their annual holiday concert on Saturday December 10th at 8pm in Heinz Chapel. The choir will be performing “ancient and contemporary classics of the season,” and it’s sure to be incredible, so don’t be the one to miss it! Tickets can be purchased here, but admission is free with a Pitt ID!

Men’s Glee Club Holiday Concert

The Men’s Glee Club will be performing their annual Holiday Concert on Saturday, December 10th at 4pm at the First Baptist Church of Pittsburgh. Admission to their 127th annual holiday concert is free with a Pitt ID, and for more information, check out their Facebook event page!

To purchase tickets for the Heinz Chapel Choir, Women’s Choir Ensemble, and Men’s Glee Club, check out the Pitt Music ticket page here!   

Kappa Kappa Psi Benefit Concert

One of Pitt’s music fraternities, Kappa Kappa Psi, is hosting a benefit concert featuring a variety of music, including some favorite holiday songs! The concert is on Saturday, December 10th at 7pm in the William Pitt Union Assembly Room, and the fraternity is asking for a minimum three dollar donation to put towards a scholarship for high school students. More information can be found on their Facebook event page here!

Pitt Ballet Club’s The Nutcracker

Every year, the Pitt Ballet Club performs their own student-choreographed production of The Nutcracker! This free show is on Sunday, December 4th, in the Bellefield Hall Auditorium. There are performances at both 1pm and 5pm, and the performance itself lasts approximately 2 and a half hours. Come show your support and check out their Facebook event page for more information!

Off-Campus Events

Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra

The PSO Holiday Pops Concert is a Pittsburgh favorite! The concert is downtown in the beautiful Heinz Hall, and the series runs from December 9th to 18th. Tickets are only $15 if you use the PittArts promo code, so to purchase tickets or to learn more, check out their website here!

A Musical Christmas Carol

Pittsburgh CLO’s A Musical Christmas Carol is back for its 25th season! Performances run from December 9th through December 23rd and tickets are only $15 with a student discount! You can click here to purchase tickets or learn more!

The Nutcracker

The Pittsburgh Ballet Theater’s The Nutcracker is an annual Pittsburgh favorite! The show runs from December 2nd through December 27th, and though tickets start at $28, you can use the PittArts promocode for a discount! You can find more information on show times and dates here.

Kennywood Holiday Lights

The annual Kennywood Holiday Lights Display is another Pittsburgh favorite. The park is open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until December 23, from 5pm–9pm. Admission is $18.99 and there are lots of events happening in the park! To see pictures from past years or to read more, check out their website here.

Skating Downtown

Nothing gets you in the holiday spirit quite like ice skating, and downtown is the perfect place to go! The MassMutual rink is open every day starting at 11am, and it only costs $12 for admission and skate rental. This year, several improvements have been made to make skating downtown an even better experience, so don’t miss out! To see hours and learn more about the skating rink, more information can be found here!

Phipps Holiday Display

Phipps Conservatory is basically on our campus, and admission is free with your student ID, so there’s no reason to miss this! Phipps decorates beautifully for Christmas each year both inside in out: the conservatory features dozens of rooms full of holiday-themed plants and decorations, and the outside Winter Light Garden is also decked out for the season. Phipps is open until 11pm each night and the holiday display ends on January 8th , so don’t miss your chance to see the conservatory all decorated for Christmas!

Winter break will be here before you know it, so don’t miss out on all the holiday happiness Pittsburgh has to offer!

Picture Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Hi, I'm Jess! I'm a Senior at The University of Pittsburgh double-majoring in Nonfiction English Writing and Communication with a French Minor.  "Nothing even matters except love and human connection- who you loved, and how deeply you loved them; how you touched the people around you, and how much you gave them."
Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing.