Healthy Habits You Should Try in 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Some people like to look down on resolutions, but any time you are taking the opportunity to better yourself it should be celebrated! Some of these might seem intuitive, but you’d be surprised by how many people don’t follow through with simple healthy habits despite knowing that they should be doing them. It never hurts to have a reminder of how you should be treating your mind, body and soul! While January may be coming to an end, you have 11 more months to make a real change and to improve your health. Here is a list of healthy habits that you should try to incorporate into your routine this year!

Drink more water

Even though it’s common knowledge that staying hydrated is the key to staying healthy, so many people don’t drink enough water on a daily basis. Whether you need to buy a huge reusable water bottle, buy a new water filter or infuse your water with fruits, make an effort to increase your water intake! Your body and skin will thank you.

Get physically active

For at least 30 minutes a day, go for a walk, lift weights or hop on a bike. Even if you only have a few minutes to spare throughout the day, prioritizing exercise will help you feel strong and is also great for reducing stress.

Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables

If you aren’t getting in your daily servings of fruits and vegetables, you aren’t properly nourishing your body. Changes as simple as incorporating fruit into your morning oatmeal or making a midday green smoothie will help energize your body and give it the nutrients it needs.

spend less time on your phone

This is one healthy habit that I am determined to stick to. So much of our lives rely on technology, but it’s not always the best use of our time. I set limits on my phone to warn me when I’ve spent a certain amount of time on social media apps. Try not to grab your phone first thing in the morning and take notice of how many times throughout the day you reach for your phone. While it’s a great tool to have, you’ll be much more productive if you don’t waste time reflexively scrolling!

extend grace to those around you

Most of the time, the way someone treats you reflects how they feel about themselves. If someone is having a bad day and decides to take it out on you, take a deep breath and protect your own energy. Be mindful of this; you will save yourself a lot of mental anguish and will be able to move on with your day without reflecting too deeply on the words of others.

prioritize your mental health

Whether you’ve been meaning to try therapy, meditation or breathing exercises, take some extra time each day to check in with yourself and evaluate your emotions. You can only be the best version of yourself when you’re taking care of your mental health!

make time for yourself

We often fill our to-do lists with all of the non-negotiables and must-do’s, and sometimes we don’t leave any time for the activities that we enjoy. Carve out 30 minutes from your day to dedicate to a hobby you love or to do something that’s just fun and not productive.

Hi, I'm Olivia! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh pursuing a major in Neuroscience, minors in Spanish, Africana Studies, and Chemistry, and a certificate in Global Health! In my free time you can find me at the gym, listening to a podcast, or hanging out with my friends!