This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

INSTALLMENT TWO OF OUR NEW MONTHLY PIECE ON WHAT WE ENJOYED AND WHAT PITTSBURGH HAS TO OFFER.

October is over, Halloweekend is complete, and there was a light flurry on the first day of November. It just became fall, and already I’m getting freeze warnings on my phone. To help ignore the cold creeping in, let’s look back at our favorites from October. -G

As we wave goodbye to silly Halloween costumes, pumpkin-everything and the not-freezing weather, Her Campus at Pitt is taking some time to reflect…on our favorites of the month! -A

October is over, and with it what is probably the most autumnal month in Pittsburgh, and that definitely calls for at least a little bit of celebration of everything we enjoyed while it was happening. -K

Movie/TV Show

Midterms might be over, but I haven’t been any less busy in my classes. While I haven’t exactly had the chance to sit down and watch something that requires hard thinking, I have been enjoying competition shows. My favorites are the Great British Baking Show (always) and Glow Up. Both of them are available on Netflix, and tragically my TV was just kicked off because it’s “not a part of my Netflix household (😪).” Despite this setback, I will be continuing to tune in on my computer. -G

I haven’t had too much time for TV either. However, I can always make time for a quick 20-minute episode of my favorite animated show. At the moment, I’ve been rewatching Young Justice since I never watched season 4! I’ve also been watching the odd episode of Invincible with our chapter president Lauren! In terms of movies, I haven’t seen too many movies recently, but my roommates and I watched Jennifer’s Body to celebrate the spooky season. If you haven’t seen it, you are missing out. -A

More favorites:

• Normal People – Lila
  • Shark Tank – Kat
  • Crimson Peaks – Isabella
  • Good Omens and Ma – Emma

Song/album/artist

I have been obsessed with Troye Sivan’s new album, Something to Give Each Other. While “Rush” and “Got Me Started” are my new favorite party songs, the rest of the album is just as good. I’ve listened to at least one song off this album every day since it came out. Not to mention the music video for “One of Your Girls” featuring Ross Lynch, obsessed. I love Troye Sivan, I could not recommend it enough. -G

I think I’ve literally listened to at least one song off of Chappell Roan’s new album The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess every single day this month. Every song is amazing, but my favorites are “Femininomenon,” “HOT TO GO!” and “Pink Pony Club” (Check out one of our writer’s reviews of the album here!). I’ve also been dabbling in Ethel Cain since seeing her at the Andy Warhol Block party! -A

More favorites:

• “About You” – The 1975 – Lila
  • Snow Angel – Renee Rap – Lauren
  • The Land is Inhospitable and So Are We – Mitski – Kendall
  • NewJeans – Nina
  • “My Love All Mine” – Mitski – Isabella
  • Unreal Unearth – Hozier – Emma
  • Djesse Vol. 2 –  Jacob Collier – Surabi

Pittsburgh Things

For Friday the 13th, many tattoo and piercing shops hold flash events, with discounted tattoos and piercings and some special, limited designs. This past Friday the 13th, Alison and I went to Black Horizon Tattoo and Piercings Cultural District location. I waited for several hours, but I got a fun new tragus piercing (and it’s been healing really well!) All of the staff was super friendly and helpful (especially the piercer Liss, @pierceropossum on IG), the shop was great, and even their non-flash prices were good. I would definitely go again! -K

I will always be a huge fan of Pitt’s weekly farmer’s market in the quad! I love getting some of my produce there along with a sweet treat, and sometimes even lunch! It’s a great way to close out the school week, and a great opportunity to support local businesses and entrepreneurs! -A

More favorites:

• I went to see the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra do Beethoven’s 7th! – Lila
  • The White Whale Bookstore & the lemon vanilla syrup they have at their coffee shop – Lauren
  • Hozak’s Farm – Kendall
  • Weekly farmer’s market – Kat
  • Love Tea – Nina
  • Studying in the Carnegie Library – Isabella
  • The Frick in Pittsburgh – gorgeous in the fall! – Emma
  • CLP has my entire heart and I think it’s one of the best study spots that’s not Pitt-affiliated (and there are so many resources)! Also, the trees in front have dropped most of their leaves onto the green space around them, so I like to reward myself for studying by crunching through the leaves when I leave – Surabi (I am also a huge fan of CLP and go several times a week – K)

Snack/food/drink

Just a quick shoutout to Kaitlyn’s (our business manager) aunt, who sent me, her, and Lauren some fantastic cookies and sweet treats! They were very much enjoyed! -A

Now that the weather has really started to cool down, and all of the fall vegetables are out in grocery stores in full force, I’ve been craving squash. Butternut, delicata, acorn, and even spaghetti have been calling my name. Luckily, the grocery store had them on sale the last time I went, so I stocked up. So far I’ve only cooked the butternut squash, but I can’t wait to have the rest. I even brought some sage from home to pair them with. – K

Other favorites:

• Kombucha – Lila
  • Cauliflower pretzels – Lauren
  • Apple cider – Kendall
  • Brown sugar milk tea/mala tang – Nina
  • Raspberry teas – Isabella
  • Halloween candy :) – Emma

clothing item/accessory

Every fall, I look forward to the first day it’s cold enough to bust out my winter jacket. But wait, it isn’t just any winter jacket. Take a minute to picture it. It’s a hoodless Lands End jacket from the 90s that my aunt gave to me when we were cleaning out my grandma’s house. It’s dark green on the outside with purple fluff on the inside. It’s so cozy, and I get compliments on it every year (even though my mom thinks it’s ugly)! -A

My jean jacket has been my go-to for all of October. It’s a great layer to help keep out the chill on the colder mornings, but I can fit it into my backpack in the afternoons once it starts to warm up. Plus it’s cute! I did have to admit defeat on the last day of October, though, and pull out my winter coat—below 40º called for something a little more heavy duty.  – K

Other favorites:

• Earrings! – Lila
  • Tights under pants because I’m frozen – Lauren
  • Matching hat and scarf sets – Kendall
  • Sweaters because it’s finally sweater season and I can bring out my huge collection – Isabella
  • White cropped v-neck from Target for $5! – Emma
  • Denim jackets (especially layered on top of turtlenecks <3)- Surabi

skincare/beauty/hygiene

I like to dabble with the occasional winged eyeliner look. I’m rather new to doing makeup that’s even slightly difficult, but I’ve been a big fan of the Sephora Collection Ultimate Gel Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil. I have it in both matte espresso and metallic copper. Copper is a really fun color for fall and espresso is more subtle than their matte black. I recommend this pencil for anyone looking to try eyeliner for the first time and even the seasoned pros. It’s even got a built-in sharpener (don’t ask how long it took for me to figure that out). -G

On my recent trip home, I finally remembered to grab my sunscreen, a must have with all of the time that I spend outside walking and waiting for the bus. The sunscreen that I use, Isntree Hyaluronic Watery Sun Gel, is one of the few sunscreens I’ve ever tried that doesn’t irritate my sensitive skin or feel greasy or heavy at all (something that I genuinely despise in sunscreen). It can be a little bit hard to find, but if you’re as picky as me when it comes to how sunscreen feels on your face, then I say it’s worth it. -K

Other favorites:

• Glossier “You” perfume – Lila
  • My dermatologist prescribed eczema steroids 👹- Lauren
  • The Original Glycolic Acid (trust me) – Kat
  • Biore sunscreen – Nina
  • Clarins Lip Oils – Isabella
Grace is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Media & Professional Communications. She is an editor for the Pitt chapter of Her Campus and likes to write about current events at the University as well as on topics local to the area. She is an intern for the Pitt Eats sustainability team this year and looks forward to using her media and communications skills to improve sustainability on campus and spread their message. In the future, she would also like to utilize these skills along with her writing capabilities in order to pursue a career in marketing and public relations. Besides Her Campus, Grace is also a member of Food Recovery Heroes and a captain for the Women's Club Rugby Team at Pitt.
Kaitlyn is the Business/PR Manager for the Her Campus University of Pittsburgh Chapter, as well as a writer. She is currently a second-year student at Pitt, and initially joined Her Campus last year. Most of her articles cover recipes or entertainment topics like books, movies, and music, but she is looking to expand to a wider breadth of topics. Kaitlyn is an English Literature Major, and plans to minor in both Spanish and Chinese. She is a member of the Frederick Honors College, with plans to study abroad in China or Taiwan. In addition to Her Campus, Kaitlyn is a member of Studio 412, another student publication at Pitt. Outside of classes, Kaitlyn can frequently be found gushing about her dogs, reading, or cooking something for herself and her roommates.
Alison is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, and she is currently serving as an editor and writer. Her favorite things to write about are video game/pop culture commentary, music recommendations, and mental health advice. Alison is majoring in Communication Science and Disorders, minoring in English Literature, and working towards a certificate in American Sign Language. In addition to Her Campus, she is a member of the Honors College and National Student Speech Language Hearing Association chapter at Pitt. She is also a research assistant at the Brain Systems for Language Lab at the University of Pittsburgh's School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences. In the future, she plans to attend graduate school for either Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology. In her free time, Alison loves to read, play video games, listen to music, and hang out with her cat, Peanut Butter.