Two lattes in a cafe
Two lattes in a cafe
Original photo by Julia Caterino

HC Pitt’s 5 Favorite Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

There are few things as enjoyable as a good cup of coffee. Finding a cute coffee shop to study in is a part of the college experience. Here are a few of HC Pitt’s favorite coffee shops on and off-campus for those who are tired of going to Starbucks.

Divvy Coffee & Buns

Located in the heart of Central Oakland is local business Divvy Coffee & Buns. Divvy is decorative and aesthetic for a fantastic photo opt. Divvy serves coffee, tea, breakfast and brunch. Divvy is known for their delicious Kopi Roti, soft dome-shaped buns covered with sweet and crumbly coffee cookie crust, with a buttery filling, coming in sweet and savory flavors. The shop additionally serves specialty coffees with housemade lavender and vanilla syrups.

Redhawk

A short walk from South Oakland near campus on 120 Meyran Ave, Redhawk is a small Pittsburgh-based coffee roastery. Redhawk sources and roasts beans from around the world for sweet and dark flavors. The shop is trendy and comfortable, though get there early because it fills up quickly!

Sidecar Coffee and Bake Shop

Off-campus in North Oakland on Craig St, Sidecar is a quaint corner cafe. The shop offers espresso drinks made with De Fer coffee and Gryphon tea beverages. Syrups and oat milk are house made as well as baked goods and delicious hand pies. The shop is incredibly cute with ample window seating for people watching or first dates.

Yinz Coffee

In a small corner in the back of the Carnegie Library near Schenley Plaza is Pittsburgh’s Yinz Coffee. Offering a variety of flavors and treats, Yinz is a fun stop before studying. Wander the library for books with a cup of coffee or a quick treat in between studying.

Jitters

Last, but my personal favorite is Jitters Cafe. Located on Walnut St in Shadyside, Jitters is a corner cafe that offers coffee, tea, pastries and ice cream. With friendly staff and creative recipes, Jitters creates specialty coffees with various flavors including and not limited to lavender, cardamon, orange, apple and more. Jitters is perfect for a weekend trip enjoying Walnut Street’s many shops. Find me enjoying an iced almond milk pistachio latte in front of their shop.

Katelyn is a media professional communications major with minors in theatre and music. In her spare time she enjoys exploring pittsburgh, hanging out with her friends, and singing.