you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HC Pitt Talks: What Do You Want to be When You Grow Up?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Being in college, it is fun to look back on what your dream job was when you were younger. Most of us do not end up doing what we planned as a kid. For example, I at one point wanted to be a famous singer, but eventually realized that was an unrealistic goal. I asked my fellow Her Campus members what their childhood career dreams were, and they did not disappoint.

Elaine Khodzhayan: “Verbatim from a fourth grade assignment that was published in the Erie Times News, ‘I want to be the greatest pastry chef in the world. That is my dream.’”

Bekah Jean: “I wanted to be a mermaid. Like I was 100 percent positive that if I spent enough time swimming, my legs would fuse, and I’d have red hair.”

Lexi Nasonti: “I always used to say I wanted to be a ‘lemonade seller.’ Then everyone would ask me what I would do in the winter, so I would say, ‘Duh, sell hot chocolate!’ Dream big, kids.”

Kelly Dasta: “In third grade I wanted to be a rock star. For career day I dressed up and made a diorama . . . meanwhile I still have never learned how to play an instrument or sing.”

Jessica Leigh: “In first grade I was asked, and I said I wanted to be a wedding planner, teacher and writer. I wanted to do it all.”

Emma Hohauser: “I wanted to be a photographer and a teacher since I was young. I stuck with teacher.”

Jess Crawford: “Veterinarian all the way. I wanted to save all the animals (but didn’t know what it was like to fail to do so because you couldn’t or they had bad owners).”

Sarah Filiault: “Marine Biologist! I was totally obsessed with the ocean, and I basically covered my room in posters of dolphins and orcas, and I had all of these trinkets and stuffed animals.”

Jian Manganti: “I really really wanted to be a film director when I was a kid! In middle school I also went through a phase where I was obsessed with training myself to have lucid dreams, so I really wanted to be some sort of scientist that studied people’s dreams.”

Hannah Ayars: “When I graduated preschool we all had to say what we wanted to be when we grew up, and I said ‘I want to be just like my mommy.’ And then I later decided I’d rather be a doctor or a writer.”

Mariah Celeste: “When I was in third grade, I wanted to be Idina Menzel and be on Broadway. My singing abilities have not panned out.”

Katie Piscopio: “In the fifth grade, we had to write in our yearbook what we wanted to be under our name . . . I wrote comedian. I wish I was kidding, but I’m not! I did also dream of being a teacher. I would always play ‘school’ with my sister and our babysitter. I loved grading tests and being in charge. Sometimes I wonder if I should still become one!”

Maria Pane: “Around kindergarten I wanted to be a veterinarian, and my older cousin and I got out all our stuffed animals and helped them feel better. Also in third grade I wanted to be an archaeologist.”

Lauren Nace: “I wanted to be in interior design! So now I just rearrange my apartment every 3 months . . .”

Taylor Simmons: “I wanted to be a dentist until I got my first cavity. Then I hated the dentist and switched to the more realistic princess idea.”

Emily Kearns: “I wanted to be a singer/pop star because I was obsessed with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. Also, I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. I would play ‘school’ with my friends on all of our play dates, and I would make my mom took me to a store that sold teaching/classroom materials. I had my own huge chalkboard, a planner, and an attendance book!”

Megan Baksi: “I was a weird kid who believed that I could grow up and be a power ranger. I like to think that is still a very real possibility.”

Photo Credit: 1

Sophomore at Pitt studying Communication Science and Disorders, with a leaning towards speech pathology. This is my first year with Her Campus, and I am excited to see what it will bring!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt