This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Lately, I have been on a reading kick and dying for some new books to add to my favorites list. Since I was struggling to find some recommendations, I decided to compile a list of HC Pitt’s favorite books that I can refer back to every time I’m book shopping! The responses varied from historical fiction to fantasy to memoirs. Here’s what they had to say:

Educated by Tara Westover

This memoir, recommended by Olivia at HC Pitt, describes Westover’s struggle for an education against her family’s religious beliefs. She leaves her family and their isolated ways to begin formal education for the first time at age 17. This is an excellent read if you’re looking for a story about a young girl opening her eyes to the world she was sheltered from.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

For readers searching for a creative, magical and interesting fantasy story, this is the perfect read. Plus, Netflix will be streaming a show based on the book series. Recommended by Claire at HC Pitt!

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Beloved, recommended by Sierra at HC Pitt, tells the story of a Black woman named Sethe, who was a slave pre-Civil War. Now living in Cincinnati, Sethe has been ostracized from her community for killing one of her own children to keep them from slave-catchers. This is an excellent read for someone looking to explore physical, emotional and spiritual damage brought about by slavery. Morrison’s writing is very lyrical and poetic, making you fall deeper into the pages.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief is the story about a young girl named Liesel growing up during World War II in Germany. Liesel steals and reads books, which helps her cope with the loss of family as her new foster parents hide a German Jew named Max in their basement. Oh, and the narrator of this book is Death. Recommended by Kate at HC Pitt!

Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Daisy Jones is a young, talented musician paired up with a blues-rock band called the Six. Daisy starts to get into the drug and sex scene on her rise to stardom. Reese Witherspoon lists Daisy Jones & the Six on her book club selections, and HC Pitt’s Katie highly recommends it!

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Also a movie, Crazy Rich Asians is a good read if you’re looking for a funny fictional book. It tells the story about the lifestyles of rich Asian families and society. For readers who enjoy drama, this is a perfect read. Recommended by HC Pitt’s Jaden!

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

Geek Love is the story of a family of mutants and their travelling circus. With all of its crazy plot twists and supernatural characters, this story is somehow distinctly human. Bizarre and beautifully written, Elizabeth at HC Pitt highly recommends this book and doesn’t think she will ever be able to stop thinking about it.

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises is Elizabeth at HC Pitt’s favorite anti-love story about the couple that could have been (but probably shouldn’t have). This book has everything you can expect from Hemingway- random trips to Spain, repressed emotions, heavy alcohol consumption, etc. But it’s also a touching story about love, loss and letting go.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

If you love historical fantasies, add this book to your list! This novel tells the story of Addie LaRue, who makes a bargain with a god to escape her marriage in early eighteenth-century France. Addie is granted immorality by this mysterious god, but in return, everyone she meets forgets her. Thus, she is bound to lead an invisible life. Kavya at HC Pitt said she highly recommends this read.

Becoming by Michelle Obama

Becoming is Michelle Obama’s memoir about her personal experience in the White House as First Lady, as well as her experiences being a mother and running a public health campaign. Faryaal at HC Pitt says she loves this memoir.

What the Eyes Don’t See by Mona Hanna-Attisha

What the Eyes Don’t See tells the unforgettable story of the public drinking water crisis in Flint, Michigan. In particular, this book describes how one woman stood up against a corrupt government and environmental racism. This book is also recommended by Faryaal at HC Pitt!

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

The Nightingale goes back and forth telling the stories of two young French sisters during World War II. One sister, Isabelle, leads the escape of Allied pilots out of German-occupied France. The other sister, Vianne, hides Jewish children so they are not taken to concentration camps. This is an awe-inspiring historical fiction that is bound to grab your attention, and it is my personal favorite.

Keri is a freshman at Pitt majoring in pre-pharmacy. Other than Her Campus, Keri is also a member of CHAARG. When she is not writing, Keri likes to hang out with dogs, listen to all kinds of music, read, workout, drink coffee, and do yoga.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt