This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As we are in the middle of Black History Month, what is a better way than to celebrate the beautiful music that Black people have brought to the world. From the creation of rock and roll by Sister Rosetta Tharpe to the Jazz Age to the irreplaceable Beyonce, music simply isn’t music without Black artists. We at HC Pitt are sharing with you our favorite songs by Black singers, featuring the classics like Etta James to R&B stylings of Blood Orange. Please enjoy our eclectic mix of pop, soul, country, indie and hip hop!

1. “‘6, 8, 12′” by Brian McKnight – Olivia Andrews

2. “Anything Leon Bridges is an absolute bop, but I think my favorite is ‘River.’” – Katy Montgomery  

3. “‘Frontline’ by Kelela, ‘The Line’ by dvsn, ‘Drew Barrymore’ by SZA, ‘All Night’ by Beyonce, ‘Love From NGC 7318’ by Tanerélle, ‘Afraid’ by Xavier Omar and literally anything ever by Tinashe.” – Sierra Posey 

4. “’Twenty One’ by Khalid, ‘Georgia’ by T.R.U. & Sleepy Rose ft. 2 Chainz, ‘I Just Called to Say I Love You’ by Stevie Wonder and ‘Wagon Wheel’ by Darius Rucker.” – Eva Grace Ashbaugh 

5. “’Sunday Kind of Love’ by Etta James, ‘If You Want Me To Stay’ by Ari Lennox and Anthony Ramos, ‘Shook’ by Tkay Maidza, ‘Songs About You’ by CHIKA, and the ~ entire ~ Dirty Computer album by Janelle Monáe.” – Kate Rempe 

6. “’Secrets’ by The Weeknd, ‘September’ by Earth, Wind & Fire, ‘Up All Night’ by Khalid, ‘Love on Top’ by Beyonce, ‘Juice’ by Lizzo, ‘Work Out’ by J Cole, and ‘I Would Die for You’ by Prince.” – Erin Lalli 

7. “‘This Way’ by Khalid and H.E.R!” – Shreya Babu 

8. “‘Do What You Gotta Do’ by Nina Simone and ‘Orlando’ by Blood Orange.” – Elizabeth Dewitt 

9. “’Mixer’ by Amber Mark, ‘Heartbreak Anniversary’ by Giveon and ‘Go There With You’ by Victoria Monet.” – Emily Erikson  

10. “‘(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman’ by Aretha Franklin, ‘Signed, Sealed, Delivered’ by Stevie Wonder, ‘1999’ by Prince, ‘At Last’ by Etta James, and ‘Hold Up’ by Beyonce.” – Nicole Arnold    

Classics nerd, hardcore feminist, music lover.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt