This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name: Hannah Derrick

Major: Psychology or Neuroscience

Year: Freshman

Fun Fact: I get really bad anxiety if my closet isn’t color-coded!

HC: What is the hardest part about college for you?

HD: Learning balance was really hard! Training to be a Pathfinder was insane the first semester. I actually studied harder for that than any of my classes! I had to learn how to designate time for all my classes, plus seeing my friends on top of that.

HC: What’s the best part about college?

HD: The freedom that I have here is great! There are so many opportunities around the city and at school. From Towers, it’s like a two minute walk to Panera, which is great. Meeting so many different people is another great part about college. I love that!

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?

HD: This sounds really lame, but I love sitting in bed all day and watching movies with my roommate, Haley. I usually don’t go out unless I have to. I also try to work out every day. It’s one of my favorite things to do. It’s such a great stress reliever and it occupies my time in a good way. Online shopping is another one of my favorite things to do. I’ll look over at my roommate and see her scrolling through clothes and adding things to her shopping cart. It’s great!

HC: What on-campus activities are you involved in?

HD: I am a Pitt Pathfinder. Basically, we give tour guides around school to prospective students and we answer any questions that they might have about Pitt. We also congratulate students who get accepted to Pitt and decide to attend school here. I guess we are like the face and voice of school that students and prospective students see. I am also just starting to get involved in POMS, which is a pre-med organization for minority students.

HC: Which one is your favorite and why?

HD: Pathfinders is definitely my favorite because I’ve met lots of my best friends through this program. It really taught me the roots at school and a lot about the school itself. It is so much fun and I get to pass my love of Pitt on to others!

HC: What are your plans for the future?

HD: I intend to go to medical school, which I guess is almost everyone’s goal here. If med school doesn’t work out then I would want to do anything that is medically related, like a Physicians Assistant or a therapist, like my mom. There are a bunch of other options!

HC: What is your favorite part about Pitt?

HD: Pitt has so many different clubs and organizations. There is something for everyone here! I love the location of Pitt because we aren’t completely urban like if we were immediately in the city. I mean, Schenley Park is right next to us, which is really nice. Coming to Pitt was a huge change from home because I’m from a really rural area. It was a major culture shock!

HC: What advice would you give first semester freshmen?

HD: Don’t be intimidated by the city and don’t be afraid of getting your feet wet in clubs or organizations. It really helps you meet people here and it also helps for your future. My friend got an internship with one of the business organizations on campus for the summer. If you are in pre-med, there are organizations that can get you a shadowing or research opportunity. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there!

Image credit: provided by Celeb

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt