This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

With 49% of University of Pittsburgh students majoring in the sciences or business and all of us working hard to be here, there’s a high chance many of us are neglecting our artistic side. Luckily, the university makes it easy for us to reconnect. Though Pitt draws a lot of students for its programs in neuroscience, engineering, and health professions, we are also more than well endowed in artistic opportunities.

Why Should You Care?

Your laundry piles up along with work as you struggle to keep your grades up, look good for dates, and still talk to your friends somehow. It’s well known that bottling up this kind of stress is completely unhealthy. Chronic stress can lead to a lower immune response, chronic muscle tension, and increased blood pressure. All of these problems can lead to bigger, deadly issues down the road. Meanwhile, that lowered immune system can make you sick several times over a semester. Art is a great way to release this tension. It lets your emotions flow and gives you time to appreciate the beauty in life—leading to a better outlook overall. In a study by Dr. Daniel Monti, M.D., it was found that study participants who partake in artsy activities “experienced less anxiety and stress.”  Art isn’t just an important part of your education; it could play a saving role in your health!

Cheapseats

This program gives students a substantial discount for concerts, dances, plays, and more. They all can be obtained online through The Pitt Arts website (except for the Calliope: Folk Music Society, which must be purchased in the Pitt Arts offices on the 9th floor of WPU.) These opportunities include anything from the classical ballet Snow White on October 24th -26th, to a very original type of mixed American Roots music from Spuyten Duyvil on October 9th.  To learn more about these events, signup for the Pitt Arts email “Hotlist” that is sent out every Wednesday.

Local Projects

Point Park is a dancer magnet school with many film majors that are always nearby. There are many student or locally run dance and theatre projects around the area. Texture Contemporary Ballet puts on numerous shows a month, that often have a sassy, more interdisciplinary kind of ballet for good prices. Conservatory Dance is a Point Park student program that also puts on shows throughout the school year for $18-20. The Steeltown Entertainment Project works in the University of Pittsburgh Film Department. This is an organization that has brought speakers to Pitt throughout the year to share their experiences in film such as the Director of SNL and a writer from Orange is the New Black. They also have a competition called “Take a Shot” in which the winner’s films are funded and screened the following year in June. These events are free, and “Take a Shot” is accepting entries for this year now!

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Free Things!

Our Pitt ID’s can take us almost anywhere in Pittsburgh, including the many great museums in the area. The Andy Warhol Museum (117 Sandusky Street) just renovated their entire building and re-innovated the way we experience Pop Art. Now 8 floors, you begin from the top floor and move down chronologically through Andy’s works. Carnegie Museum of Arts and Natural History (4400 Forbes Avenue) is always a great experience, with pieces from the 1600’s to 1960’s and interactive tours. The Mattress Factory (500 Sampsonia Way) takes care of the 1960’s and beyond. One of the most contemporary and innovative museums in the country, it is worth the short trip on the 54 bus. Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens (1 Schenley Park) is the place for anyone who genuinely enjoys nature. They have a butterfly garden and many beautiful pieces of Chihuly glasswork throughout exotic plants and currently blooming flowers. In addition, there are some museums that are less artsy but still work the visit: Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center (1212 Smallman Street), Fort Pitt Museum (Commonplace Place), Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Museum (401 Meadowcroft Road), and our very own Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum (4141 5th Avenue).

Want to Get Involved?

The Pitt Arts Council just had an awesome festival this Friday, September 5th. To find more cool events, check out their website and sign up for their Hotlist!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3

Junior Economics and Chinese major at Pitt! I am Fundraising chair for our fantastic Pink Level Chapter that was voted "Most Philanthropic" last year. Since I love volunteering and organizing people to help our Pittsburgh community, getting HC members into fun, innovative ways to build this community is my job. We also have fundraisers for both ourselves and our charity partner She's the First. To find out more about their amazing work check out https://www.shesthefirst.org/Look out for our HC Night Out tickets this October! Inquiries: jmc248@pitt.edu
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt