Get to Know These Four New Artists!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When it comes to being the first person in your group of friends and acquaintances to discover an awesome artist that you think is great, it’s one of the best feelings. Discovering new music, artists, or sounds is quite the hobby for some people (like myself). These next four artists are all making a lot of fuss in the music scene, whether well publicized or not. You may even know a couple of them!

Jhené Aiko has been in the music industry for quite some time, but has started to get a lot more recognition after being featured on the track “July” with Drake and Bei Major. She hails from California and has the most adorable daughter named Namiko. Her EP Sailing Soul(s) got the attention of many people who were missing a touch of the R&B style inspired from the 90’s. Her debut album release date is said to be October 23rd. 

SZA is the new female artist recently signed to TDE (Top Dawg Entertainment). She is now performing alongside Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Ab Soul and others. SZA (pronounced “see-za”) hails from New Jersey and strives to be the best “her” she is capable of being through her music. Her voice is very sweet, and nothing close to simple. She has two EP’s: S and See SZA Run. These are on SoundCloud and are currently free to download, so go check her out!

Lorde, or Ella Yelich-O’Connor is from New Zealand. She is categorized as an indie artist. Her song “Royals” has been doing very well in Europe, and has found its way here in the US. She has a very intriguing style that is sometimes reminiscent of Sleigh Bells. She is definitely an artist to look out for. Her current EP is titled The Love Club.

Lianne La Havas is a soulful, folk singer-songwriter from England whose voice is as big as her hair and fashion sense. “Lost and Found” is a popular song of hers, which touches on the elements of an abusive and controlling relationship. La Havas has a very sweet and angelic voice that is strong and transcending. Her debut album is entitled Is Your Love Big Enough? and guides you through honestly answering that question for yourself. 

These four ladies, who all hail from different parts of the world, are making a statement and have rekindled elements of music that so many music lovers have been searching for. They are all worth a listen. Which artists have you discovered (or rediscovered!)? If you give these ladies an ear, let me and others know what you think! Music is love and energy, so treat yourself to something new!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt