Gaining Understanding with Dr. Herzawi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Featured in the Pittnews this week was Dr. Herzawi for his lecture to students about the situation arising in Egypt.

Our spotlight is on him this week because of our belief in the importance of being aware of the world around us. Dr. Herzawi helped Pitt students understand the complexity of the situation, explaining with great detail the challenges the country may face. He answer many student’s questions, spreading his knowledge and wisdom to our own Pitt students.

He predicted what would happen in Egypt, which turned out to be correct: The president would step down, however, he would not leave the country immediately.

He spoke of the history which lead to this uprising, giving the students here a better contextual understanding of the turmoil which Egypt must now face.

In the midst of war, terror, and violence worldwide, I think that we should be grateful for people such as Dr. Herzawi who dedicated their lives to informing and educating others about the problems, not just in our nation, but worldwide. We will be the next generation to face these issues and with the help from our professors, teachers, parents, and elders, we can accumulate enough knowledge to begin to understand our world and solve the problems it faces.

UCIS Visiting Professor in Contemporary International Studies Dr. Moataz F. Herzawi is the 2010-2011 UCIS Visiting Professor in Contemporary International Issues. Dr. Herzawi’s work focuses on the intersection of Islam and democracy and the political culture of Muslim countries.
UniversityofPittsburgh.com

Derilyn Devlin graduates from Pitt in April 2012. She is excited to leave the University of Pittburgh Her Campus to Mandy Velez and Claire Peltier as the new campus correspondents.