Five Grey Staples for Your Fall Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As the temperature drops and the sun’s warmth shies away, the women of campus are taking pleasure in bundling up while still feeling stylish and weather-appropriate. Aside from the popular autumn earth tones, grey is another moderate color that adds casual cool to every outfit. Here are five grey pieces that each have their own flair and practicality. 

1.  Beanies

Hats are usually reserved for messy hair days, but this beanie doubles in keeping your head warm on a windy day while accessorizing an outfit of leggings and a sweater to the perfect degree. Let it keep the hair out of your face for maximizing concentration in class, or let your hair spring wildly from the sides—either way works for a half-chic, half-hipster look. This featured beanie is $16 at American Apparel.

2. Cable Knit Infinity Scarf

Say goodbye to the light, flowy scarves that never keep our necks warm. This scarf is poofy and snuggly, and is something you would have on when rushing to your 8am class or sipping on hot chocolate with friends. The cable pattern of the featured Nordstrom scarf costs $22, and has enough complexity to be interesting, but doesn’t distract from an outfit. 

3. Oversized Sweaters

Graphic prints have been appearing on the runway this past year, and combining that trend with an oversized sweater is heavenly genius. Keeping warm is essential, but having a cool design on your sweater still makes you feel fashionable. Not to mention- you are free to layer the sweater over tank tops and other shirts if you want an extra pop of color; or if you’re simply looking for more warmth! We all know the residence halls can get chilly. This featured sweater is $22.80 at Forever 21. 

4. Vans

Albeit occasionally being overrated, Vans have a unique style and they’re extremely comfortable. They’re perfect for when you’re running around campus when flats don’t quite make the cut. Vans look great with any pair of skinny jeans, and if you’re feeling especially bold, pair them with a dress or skirt. These featured Vans are $65, but they are extremely long lasting- making them well worth it!

5. Grey Tights

The colored tights trend has not completely diminished. There are still remnants of this style that can be subtly drizzled into your outfits. You can rock some solid winter outfits with your skirts and dresses, so long as your keep your legs warm with adorable tights like these. If you’re a dare devil, wear them with your grey Vans to color block.

Tweet your grey-themed outfits to Her Campus at @HerCampusPitt on Twitter!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt