A Few Things to Keep In Mind When Living Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s about that time of year again where U-hauls are being unloaded on the side of the street and where parents are frantically attempting to unpack their freshmen as well as they possibly can.  It’s that time where moving carts are being pushed in and out of residence halls and where students vow to actually keep their room neat and organized this semester.  It’s the end of August and that means it’s time to go back to college, or in some cases, start college, and that includes the dreadful act of moving in.

The majority of freshmen coming into college must live in an on-campus dorm. It is part of the first year experience that I doubtlessly agree with.  I can’t imagine my first year of college without living in Towers, having a meal plan, and being right in the middle of all the action. 

Making the decision to live off campus is something that almost everyone faces during his or her college years.  After living in an apartment off campus for only a week, I can safely say that it is definitely something everyone should do at some point, whether during his or her undergrad years or after they graduate.  There are some pretty obvious differences between living on and off campus. The most basic one? Having even more responsibilities. There are many things to keep in mind and remember when moving into your own place. 

So you actually have to clean… I thought cleaning my dorm room last year was a lot of work, but cleaning an apartment is on a whole other level.  You don’t just have a tiny space to share with a roommate anymore. You will most likely have a kitchen and a bathroom (which become the most time consuming rooms to clean and take care of) instead of just your bedroom. You’re not going to have maintenance there to clean for you and your floor-mates every day.  You will actually have to go out and purchase toilet paper and cleaning supplies. It seems so easy, but things like this are always easier said than done. 

Although I have glassware in my apartment, having paper and plastic to eat from is ideal in college.  Beware that some apartments (including mine) do not come with a dishwasher.  So yes, I actually have to wash my dishes by hand, and yes, I do wear yellow rubber gloves when doing so. As a college student, there are so many other things on your mind, like studying and attending classes. Who has time to remember to refill the ice tray?

Unfortunately, you’re going to have to take out the trash. And I don’t mean just walking out of your dorm room two steps and throwing it into the trash room across the hall.  You’re going to have to put it outside by the curb, or if you’re in my situation, walk down five flights of stairs and throw it in the dumpster outside. Did I mention I have to walk ALL the way around to the front of my building and take the elevator back up to my apartment? I currently have three bags of trash piled by my door. (Don’t do that.)

Despite having a tremendous amount of responsibility living off campus, there are so many reasons why you need to do it!  You have freedom.  You don’t need to sign into a dorm and there’s no RA watching your every move.  You get your own bedroom while still being able to live with your friends.  You just have to remember to turn off the lights before you leave because you actually have bills to pay! Living off campus prepares you even more for living on your own in the real world after you graduate.  It’s the next step up from dorm life and it’s definitely worth trying out! Even though there are differences between living on and off campus, no matter where we are living, we all still come home at 2 AM on the weekends, microwave pizza bagels, and eat them on the floor with our roommates!

Photo Credit: All photos provided by the author.

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt