This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.
Attend a football game

Whether its a Steelers game or a Pitt Panther game, football is fantastic in the fall. At Heinz Field, you can see a unique view of Downtown and Point State Park, which makes a prime backdrop for your photos. Personally, my favorite part of football is the cheering and team spirit. Luckily, the Panther Pitt, our football student section, has plenty of spirit to go around. Make sure to stay for the singing of “Sweet Caroline” as our true Pitt pride comes to life.

Visit The Point to see the leaves change
Pictures of the Phoenix park in Dublin taken by the writer
Original photo by Aoife McGeough

Point State Park is absolutely perfect on a beautiful fall day when the weather is perfect for a pair of jeans and a hoodie. You can see the wonderful fall colors all around while watching the last few boats drive by on the rivers. If you have a furry four-legged friend, they would make the perfect companion for a fall walk at Point State Park.

Watch a movie

Like any typical Pittsburgh day, the chances of rain are high. Therefore, a movie day is the perfect way to pass the time. One of my favorite movies just so happens to take place in Pittsburgh. Perks of Being a Wallflower mentions a few Pittsburgh icons such as Schenley Park and the West End Overlook. The movie is most known for the tunnel scene which offers a great view of Downtown at night. If you’re in the mood for a scary movie, Silence of the Lambs is a great Pittsburgh based film. You may recognize the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum as well as the Cathedral of Learning in some of the scenes.

Visit soergel orchards

I enjoy going to the pumpkin patch and corn maze during September and October. Pumpkin picking is one of my family’s favorite traditions, so it helped cure my homesickness when I visited Soergel Orchards. My favorite part of Soergel Orchards is choosing the biggest pumpkin; I have a habit of picking ones I can’t carry. In addition to pumpkins, pumpkins and more pumpkins, you can pick apples, walk through a corn maze or go for a hayride. Soergel Orchards is a great place to have fall fun with your friends while escaping the city scene for a bit. 

Asian lantern festival at pittsburgh zoo & ppg aquarium

This fall, the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium is having an Asian Lantern Festival on Thursday through Sunday evenings from now until October 30th. The festival includes wild-life themed lanterns. You will need to purchase a separate ticket from the daytime admission ticket but its worth it. The experience is wonderful and kind of magical. The lanterns are absolutely stunning and beautiful. The fact that they are handcrafted makes them even more amazing. I highly recommend taking a trip with your friends for a magical night.

Hello! I am a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh. I am majoring in Psychology and Administration of Justice and minoring in German Studies. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family in my free time.