andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Everything You Need To Pack For Studying Abroad In London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Packing for a weekend trip is stressful enough, imagine packing for a three-and-a-half-month trip – this is the studying abroad struggle. In my school’s pre-departure sessions, we were informed that Londoners are highly fashionable, and we would stick out if we were seen in “athleisure” on the Tube. The fashionista in me immediately freaked out and used my Christmas wish-list to buy “fashionable” things I could bring with me. This was far from the truth, and there were a lot of times I’d wished I brought more of my leggings with me.

Even though there were many things I wished I’d brought, I also ended up bringing way too much. Coming home, I had an entire extra suitcase with me and my bag was 10 pounds over the

weight limit. In order to not be even more overweight, I had to leave some items I purchased throughout the semester (r.i.p pastel pink Primark leather jacket

Things You Probably Need More of Than You Think

Laundry is a struggle I didn’t anticipate for when packing – be mindful that while laundry is more than likely going to be in your flat, there are no dryers, meaning your clothes will have to hang dry in the living room for days. While you should be mindful with the amount of clothes you bring, make sure to bring enough clothes (socks) to survive the days it takes for clothes to dry.

Another important thing I wasn’t aware of: London. Gets. Cold. While it didn’t snow when I was there and the winters are nothing like Pittsburgh’s, there’s about three weeks of cold weather. Make sure you bring a jacket that’s warm, or at the very least layers. It will not be fun walking around and sight-seeing when you’re freezing.

Even if you don’t go out much at your home university, London is a very eventful city (& it’ll be a new and exciting city to you!) so you’ll probably go out more than you anticipate. While you shouldn’t go overboard with nightclub outfits (unless you plan to go a lot already), you should bring at least two or three outfits you’d be comfortable going to a bar in. If you’re not sure what this would entail, wait until you arrive to take a shopping trip to pick up some things. Nothing is worse than your roommates going out together and you realizing you have nothing to wear.

Things You Think You Need but Probably Don’t

Do not go overboard with sweaters, hats, scarves, etc. I packed about 6 sweaters, 4 scarves and 3 hats. This was 3, 2 and 2 too many. Don’t waste valuable packing space on the same sweater in three different colors because you think people will notice if you wear the same clothes all the time. The truth is, everyone is short on clothes and everyone repeats outfits, it’s inevitable when you’re packing 3 and a half months of clothes in two suitcases. Pack things you wear already and buy things once you’re there if you become short of clothes.

If you usually workout at home, chances are you’ll want to work out while abroad. While I’d be sure to bring running shoes and workout clothes with you, I would not pack too much. The truth is gym memberships were expensive and I didn’t live close to the gym we could go to for free. I did however, take advantage of Lululemon’s free yoga classes at the store near my apartment, so I wish I’d packed more yoga clothes. In addition, I was lucky to live right near Hyde Park, so I went on a lot of runs. However, I did not bring enough cold weather workout gear, so I’d recommend either buying some there or bringing your own!

If you’re doing an internship, you’ll probably be told you need business casual clothes. While this is true in some cases, most places actually have relaxed dress codes and your business casual clothes will just take up space in your tiny closet. My advice would be to pack one pair of nice pants, a nice blouse, and a nice dress, just in case. There are a ton of places you can buy more clothes if needed. Take it from me, it’s better to spend money on business casual clothes you don’t mind getting rid of at the end than spending extra money on overweight charges for your luggage going back home. You’ll also want at least one nice outfit for special events like taking a private tour of Buckingham Palace. Yeah. That happened to me & I’m so glad I had a dress to wear!

Things You Will Want That You Don’t Think You Need

My biggest advice to take away from this article is to pack things you’re comfortable in. In an effort to only bring “fashionable” items, I left a lot of my comfy clothes at home. I often missed my favorite tees and sweatshirts, especially when I would see my roommates in their school sweatshirts. Ultimately, you can always buy trendy clothes, but you won’t be able to replace your favorite sweatpants.

Another piece of advice is to bring your favorite pillow or blanket. I’m so happy I brought my blanket with me not only to use during the overnight flights, but to have a piece of home with me to cuddle up with when I got homesick. I’d also suggest bringing some decorations from home to put up in your new room to help make your space feel more home-y.

Above all, it’s important to remember, Primark exists in London. You’ll soon realize Primark is a godsend, and you’ll be able to buy anything and everything you need // forget to bring for cheap. Bottom line is, bring things you’re comfortable in and wear all the time already. You’ll always be able to buy more things, but you won’t be able to get your faves from home (unless someone visits and is an angel and brings them). Try not to over pack initially because you will be bringing home a ton of souvenirs. <3

Photo Credit: 1-5 Author’s own, 6

Ciao! I'm Ashleigh, a marketing major & Italian minor super-senior. I love CHAARG, HC, memes, watching gossip girl & cooking shows, and eating pizza.  
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt