This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’re looking for Elyse on campus, you might want to try the pool first, where she’s practicing with her water polo team for their next tournament. If she’s not there, she might be in Benedum running a big meeting or acing one of her classes. No matter how busy she is, this campus cutie still finds time to explore the city with her friends, always with a good attitude and a smile on her face. Let’s learn a little more about Elyse as our campus cutie this week!

Hometown: Franklin, Michigan

Year: Senior

Major: Chemical Engineering

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus: What are some extracurricular activities you are involved in on campus?

Elyse Dumas: Pitt Women’s Water Polo Team and American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AICHE) are my two main activities, both of which I’m really passionate about.

HC: How did you first get involved with water polo? What is it like to be on the Pitt team?

ED: I played in high school when I was growing up in Michigan. I started out with swimming, and my teammates tried to get me to join the water polo team for years. I finally did and fell in love with it! Being on the Pitt team is incredible. It’s a great group of girls and a great workout. With four practices a week, and some traveling throughout the year, not only do you get a really good workout, but you also get close with your team. We were ranked 14th in the country last year, so I’m really excited to see how this season pans out!

HC: What is your favorite tournament you’ve ever competed in?

ED: Having championships here at Pitt was definitely my favorite! It was a high stakes tournament and great to play on our home field. This was last Spring, and we’ll more than likely host another one this Spring too. We’d love to have a big crowd – definitely come cheer us on as we try to make it to nationals!

HC: With all of these extracurricular activities and a chemical engineering major, what’s your secret to staying on top of everything?

ED: I use water polo as a break! It’s a workout and a time to be social, so it’s a good break from studying. To stay organized, I have a planner that I keep my entire life in which really helps me.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Pitt?

ED: The city of Pittsburgh is my favorite. There are so many different neighborhoods to explore, and throughout the past few years, my friends and I have done a really good job of going to all of them. My favorite neighborhood is Shadyside – it’s a little more upscale version of Oakland and there are always so many fun events going on!

HC: Imagine life post-graduation… What do you see yourself doing?

ED: Working at a top engineering design firm, living in a big fabulous city, and staying active either through water polo or running. I also want to become involved in the national board of AICHE, since it’s been such a big part of my life in college in addition to water polo.

HC: Time for relationship questions – What is your ideal first date?

ED: Something fun and active! Not the typical dinner and a movie. I love being outdoors and being surprised.

HC: What is the first thing you notice about a guy?

ED: This is a tough one… But honestly, the way he carries himself. Whether it’s cocky or shy or goofy, I always notice this.

HC: And the most important question of all… If you could eat any food for the rest of your life, what food would it be and why?

ED: I’m really leaning towards guacamole, ’cause you can’t go wrong with Mexican food and margaritas!

Photos provided by the Cutie.

My name is Melodi Reich, and I'm currently a student at the University of Pittsburgh studying Information Science. After graduation, I hope to go into a technology related field. However, writing is one of my hobbies and passions, and being a part of Her Campus has allowed me to express my more creative side through writing articles and other content. Joining Her Campus was one of the best decisions I made in college, and I can't wait to use the skills I've gained through being in this organization in the future.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt