Drunchies You Won’t “Ragret”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’ve ever been drunk, you know the struggle with drunk munchies. You’re enjoying yourself on a night out when suddenly you’re starving, despite the hefty amount of calories you consumed through drinking. You get insane cravings for food you’ve been avoiding for months, or that you typically don’t even like! The drunk munchies are the bane of diets and the harbinger of the freshman fifteen alike. But you can combat the “drunchies” with a little preparation before you go out.

If you’re craving:

Cookies/other sweets: It’s easy to fall into a sweet trap when you’ve been drinking, especially if you prefer your alcohol without a chaser. If you become the cookie monster when you’re drunk…

Try this instead: Apples with cinnamon sugar oatmeal dip

How to prepare: First, cut the apple to your desired slice size and quantity (try to keep it to 2 apples or less) and spritz with lemon juice to prevent browning. Second, combine Greek yogurt, instant oats, cinnamon, and sugar in one container. Try not to be too heavy handed with the sugar! I usually use half a cup of Greek yogurt, with a tablespoon of oats and one teaspoon each of cinnamon and sugar. Refrigerate and snag when the urge hits!

Chicken nuggets and fries: I don’t know why, but I have friends who hit up late night McDonalds easily once every three times we go out. So, if this applies to you…

Try this instead: Grilled chicken and rice

How to prepare: First, cut and season the chicken (aim for only 4 ounces) to your preference, then grill. Meanwhile, make the rice (I use the microwavable packages). Dump the rice into a Tupperware container and lay the chicken over the top. Then apply sauce if you want, but not a crazy amount. I like buffalo chicken so I drizzle on buffalo sauce and a light squiggle of ranch or blue cheese dressing. Refrigerate, then reheat when desired.

Chinese food: There’s just something about that offbeat Asian food that really hits the spot late at night, especially when the local options are so cheap and have great specials… except for the fact that one “serving” could easily feed you and two friends! But you don’t have to fall into a food coma to have that fix satisfied; make your own at home and save some dollars and your waistline.

Try this instead: Vegetable-not-so-fried-rice. While as retail location will load up their fried rice with oil and soy sauce, you can customize your options when you cook it yourself.

How to prepare: First, steam the vegetables in the microwave, by putting the vegetables in a smaller bowl, inside a much larger bowl with a couple tablespoons of water in it. Cover both with the lid resting on the larger bowl. Microwave for around two and a half minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked. Then, make the rice (I use instant microwavable packages). In a pan, add just enough oil/butter to coat the bottom and turn to medium heat. When hot enough, add one egg and scramble it in the pan. Cook thoroughly! Then add the vegetables, rice, and soy sauce (only use enough to flavor the rice) and mix to combine. All the ingredients are already cooked, so you don’t have to leave the food in the pan for long. Move this deliciousness into a microwave-safe bowl and refrigerate until you’re hungry!

Alternatively, this can be used to make at home Lo mein or Pad Thai. Just substitute the rice for some rice-noodles, and for Pad Thai add around one tablespoon of peanut butter.

The one, the only, the almighty pizza: There’s really nothing quite like the deliciousness that is the almighty pizza. However, you can kind of make do if you have to.

Try this instead: A healthier, homemade “pizza”

How to prepare: You can pulverize cauliflower or zucchini, then add panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Form and bake until brown to make your own low carb dough. Then apply your sauce, cheese, and toppings and bake until the cheese is melted. If you want an easier and already made “crust,” you can use a tortilla. Add your sauce and cheese and shove that bad boy in the oven for roughly 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts (or put it in the microwave for 30 seconds for immediate gratification).

Alternative for everything above: Pretzels, veggies, and hummus. Simple, good for you, and delicious — what more could you ask for?

Recipe Credits: cinnamon yogurt dip, rice and chicken

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt