The Lalacoat Watch Brick Wall
The Lalacoat Watch Brick Wall
Her Campus Media
Style

Don’t Hate Your Winter Coat: Dressing for the Pittsburgh Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As a Pennsylvanian, I am no stranger to cold winters. As a fashion geek, I am also no stranger to being frustrated by cold winters. Although prioritizing style over warmth can be tempting, it is never a good idea to be caught in a snowstorm wearing something that won’t keep you warm for more than 5 minutes. Stifling as it can seem to cover your carefully planned ensemble with a coat as puffy as a mattress, it’s still possible to dress the way you want to even when your earrings freeze. The coat is key.  

Girl With Snow In Trees 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
I know that wearing a huge bundle of fleece, waterproof fabric or mylar is not exactly what comes to mind when you think of the world ‘stylish’. However, there are ways to make those things look good. To begin, choose a coat in a color that you can wear with anything. Black, dark grey, blue or burgundy are all good options for matching your outerwear to the rest of your wardrobe. Versatility is particularly important in choosing your coat because ideally, you’ll wear it for many winters and many different occasions. A neutral color also allows you more freedom when it comes to picking out your accessories. Mixing your hats and scarves will make your coat look brand new every time, even if you’ve owned it for years. Finally, seek a coat with pockets. Less practical clothing designers make garments without them, but the right brand will make a coat with space for your phone and lip balm. 

Boots In The Snow
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Since Pittsburgh is reliably cold and snowy, your outfit is your best defense against the chill. My essentials for winter in the Burgh are comfortable shoes, gloves and my jacket. They haven’t failed me yet.

Classics nerd, hardcore feminist, music lover.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt