absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Definitive Ranking Of Taco Places In Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Once I ate 9 tacos in one sitting. This is the fun fact I always share with new people, and one I’m rather proud of. Everyone I know can easily tell you that tacos are my absolute favorite food. Therefore, I’ve spent a fair amount of time searching the city of Pittsburgh for the best tacos. The following is a list of 9 restaurants I’ve checked out that serve tacos, ranked from worst to best.

9. Round Corner Cantina

I’ve heard rave reviews about Round Corner Cantina. But to be completely honest, Round Corner Cantina had some of the worst tacos I’ve ever ordered at a restaurant. They had a decent variety of options, but their tacos were incredibly small and very overpriced. I ordered the Mahi Mahi tacos and they were very dry. If you go, don’t order fish tacos and do order margaritas!

8. Patron Mexican Grill

The only reason I have ever gone to Patron was to take advantage of their Monday night $1 taco special. I have never ordered any other entree from their menu, so I will admit that my opinion of their tacos could be skewed. That being said, their $1 tacos are only $1 for a reason. They have a protein, cheese, and lettuce. That’s it. Pretty boring if you ask me – but if I’m eating for cheap and getting full then I’ll take what I can get.

7. Mad Mex

Mad Mex can be a hit or a miss. The one time I ordered tacos from Mad Mex in Oakland, the chicken was SO DRY that I couldn’t eat them. I actually got my meal for free (not that I ate it). However, my boyfriend LOVES some of their taco plates and swears by them. You just have to be careful about what you order, and make sure to couple your meal with a big azz marg!

6. Steel Cactus

Perhaps Steel Cactus should be rated higher (I’d be willing to say it could be the 4th best of the restaurants I’ve tried in Pittsburgh), but I struggled to compare this establishment with some of its competitors. I have enjoyed every taco I have ordered from Steel Cactus. The main reason I docked it was due to the price – which might not be the best criteria. I’d definitely recommend going to Steel Cactus at some point. Definitely order queso!

5. AJ’s Burger & Peruvian Rotisserie Chicken

Given the name of this establishment, it doesn’t sound like a restaurant where you could get awesome tacos. But you can. AJ’s has very limited options (hence their place on this list), but their traditional beef tacos on a corn tortilla are to die for. You can even call in and order these bad boys ahead of time. Highly recommend.

4. Doce Taqueria

Doce doesn’t have a ton of options, but what they do offer tastes amazing – especially when you roll up drunk at 2am. In addition to having great food, Doce has great hours and an ideal location. Plus, it’s cheap and fast!

3. Bull River Taco Co.

Bull River Taco Co. is incredibly similar to Doce Taqueria, with just a few more options. While this establishment is less ideal for intoxicated college students, their food is equally as cheap and fast, and slightly better! I loved the veggie tacos I ordered.

2. Tako

The first time I went to Tako it was AMAZING. Easily the best taco I’ve ever had in my life, with unique flavors in every bite. Even though I only received two tacos, I found them extremely filling. The second time I went with a large group and my food was a bit cold, which was a huge disappointment. If I hadn’t received cold tacos and their prices were lower, Tako would be number one without question. I highly recommend everyone make an effort to go to Tako at least once. Make sure to get a reservation, especially if you plan to go on a weekend!

1. Condado Tacos

Condado Tacos is my current favorite restaurant to order tacos in all of Pittsburgh. To begin, they have a large variety of tacos. They have pre-designed tacos, which are all incredible, as well as sheets for you to design your own tacos (think Stackd for tacos). All of my tacos had amazing flavors and were extremely filling. To make it even better, they were cheap! If you are 21, make sure to order a margarita because they are to die for.

Photo credit: Author’s own

Hi! I'm a junior at Pitt and I finally learned how to pump my own gas (But only at some gas stations - sorry, I'm from Jersey). I'm a big fan of cities, fast cars, alternative music and thinking outside the bun. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt